Ye Macce Threade

Indeed it's a 2.5" drive. I have 3 of them. Alas, people ignore me in this thread :) I'm not enough of an enabler. I did play with an AppleTV today, and I want one.

Oh I'm listening, just not with a Mac on the mind. My Alienware has two internal bays, I'm thinking a Momentus would be a great primary drive with a standard HD for large cap storage in the second bay.

Indeed it's a 2.5" drive. I have 3 of them. Alas, people ignore me in this thread :) I'm not enough of an enabler. I did play with an AppleTV today, and I want one.

Oh I'm listening, just not with a Mac on the mind. My Alienware has two internal bays, I'm thinking a Momentus would be a great primary drive with a standard HD for large cap storage in the second bay.

And it's $105 for 500gb right now (with promo code). If my MacBook wasn't so ancient, I'd consider replacing its drive, too.

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

For online access to hdds, perhaps this: Pogoplug Pro enables remote access to four USB hard drives, adds inbuilt WiFi -- Engadget should be a consideration.

That looks really great.

Plug in up to 4 existing HDs (I have a few scattered about), access from any web browser via their included online service, so no messing round with IP addresses, apps for your mobile device to access the HDs (iPad for me), desktop app for drag and drop on your PC, cloud/mobile printing, including from iPad, built in media streaming to PS3 or XBox (just got an Xbox for Christmas!), and to any HTML5 device (iPad again), auto mirroring for backup to a second pogoplug which can be in a different location.

All for $99 each. That just seems perfect for a general user like me. Am I missing something?

The Intel X-25M 120GB for $250 seems like a great deal. Its a premium SSD and the bigger the SSD is allowing for more free space tends to make it faster too with wear leveling. That and a pogoplug pro seems like a potent combo to me.

If your using windows 7, you can get a cheaper OCZ 120GB SSD that will perform just as well as the intel though practically with its built-in wipe and SSD management functions. Intel is better for XP or standard linux.

you can't defrag a SSD, I take it?

More appropriately, you don't need to defrag an SSD.

The whole point of defragging is so that individual files and related files are kept at the same physical location on a HDD, so that physical seek time of the read head is minimised. With the SSD you no longer have a physical seek time. File access times should be consistently low regardless of how far apart the bits are.

Safari has become almost unusable for me. I get the stupid beachball constantly. Now I need to figure out if it's Safari or the iMac. The iMac has been slowing down over the last several months. I'm afraid it doesn't have much longer to live...

It's been slowing down of late for me as well, along with more crashes, on both my MacBook and iMacs. Probably doesn't help that both of these machines are ~3-years-old at this point.

FYI, if you are having or have had video problems with your MBP purchased between May 2007 and Sep 2008, there is a pending class action lawsuit likely to be settled by NVIDIA on Dec 20, 2010. There is an issue regarding overheating and related video card (GPU) failures. You may be entitled to reimbursement or replacement. I recently got Dell to replace my D630 for ongoing problems likely related to this.

The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page