Ye Macce Threade

^indeed

Steve Jobs has vowed never to visit Japan again after being prevented from leaving the country with a set of ninja throwing stars, according to a local magazine.

The Apple CEO apparently had a set of shuriken in his carry-on luggage when he was returning from a family vacation by private jet in July, according to SPA magazine via a Bloomberg report. They were picked up by a security scan and officials insisted he give them up.

Jobs apparently took umbrage at the request, arguing, quite logically, that it was hardly a security risk as he was unlikely to hijack his own plane.

When officials refused to budge, he apparently threw the death stars away - presumably very slowly so as not to kill anyone - and declared he would not return to the country.

Steve Jobs carried 'ninja throwing stars' in hand luggage ? The Register

I have a strange problem I cannot seem to fix. My mail is stuck. It just hangs like it's processing a very large attachment or something. When I check the status messages is shows that it's trying to retrieve mail... it seems to be transferring lots of stuff, but even if I let it sit for days, it never updates. I'm using gmail for this particular account. Any ideas?

I have a strange problem I cannot seem to fix. My mail is stuck. It just hangs like it's processing a very large attachment or something. When I check the status messages is shows that it's trying to retrieve mail... it seems to be transferring lots of stuff, but even if I let it sit for days, it never updates. I'm using gmail for this particular account. Any ideas?

Maybe you could into gmail from your web browser, and see if there is an unusually large email with attachment that you can delete from there.

My mail proggy does the same thing, gets to about 68 messages of a couple of hundred and hangs there not doing anything. In exasperation I got another mail program. Between that and my iTunes troubles I'm thinking of formatting and doing a full reinstall because this crap is annoying.. Especially as my wanky PCs buzz along for years without this type of shit happening.

Maybe I can cure the problem with a 27" iMac. If only I had a spare 1700 sat in my pocket.. *sigh* :/

Maybe your internet needs bigger tubes?

switch to AOL. or slightly more helpful, delete the account and set it up again.

No, not AOL, Marc needs ALO! Bigger cables let through moar bass, email, and stuff.

My mail proggy does the same thing, gets to about 68 messages of a couple of hundred and hangs there not doing anything. In exasperation I got another mail program. Between that and my iTunes troubles I'm thinking of formatting and doing a full reinstall because this crap is annoying.. Especially as my wanky PCs buzz along for years without this type of shit happening.

Maybe I can cure the problem with a 27" iMac. If only I had a spare 1700 sat in my pocket.. *sigh* :/

Clone your HD to a bootable external HD. Boot from external drive to test that it's good, because you may someday have to boot from it and use it if your computer HD dies. Shut down and boot from OSX installer DVD, wipe internal HD clean and install fresh OSX onto internal drive. It helps to have the external drive already plugged in so when OSX installer asks if you want to migrate from another computer you can say yes. Choose the external drive with your clone on it. (you can probably also do this with a time machine backup).

If you select the right options it will then import all your apps and user data from the external drive, but not the old itunes or any old bad system software (as the fresh system install will have newer files it wont overwrite, just not always the newest version). When you reboot from the fresh internal HD, you should be okay to run "system update" to get everything back to the most recent version of the apps. Do this update BEFORE you try to run an old version of mail or itunes app that can't read the newer data files. (for instance, my OSX will install 10.6.0 and my data from the newer apps can't be opened until I update)

My Internet has HUGE tubes. It gets stuck as well on some big attachment and prentends forever to download it. But actually, it hanged already after 7 seconds says the hangman report. I'm thinking maybe I need a better power cord or maybe gold plated contacts for the Internet cable. Or maybe the Apple Mail App just plain sucks.

Maybe your internet needs bigger tubes?