Ye Macce Threade

I had to take one of our Macbooks to the the Apple Genius Bar today after it got stuck in optical digital output mode and wont play sound through the speakers. Headphones would work fine, but when unplugging the phones it switches back to optical output instead of internal speakers.

I tried resetting the PRAM with no help, and the Apple genius reset the SMC with no results either; so they ordered a new logic board for it. We bought this one in Feb or March of last year for my eldest teen daughter for school, so it's a good thing I had bought the Apple Care for it or we'd be screwed. Also, if you guys have to leave your Mac with Apple for service, don't forget to de-authorize it from the iTunes store so the old logic board doesn't continue to count against one of your 5 allowed computers.

It comes with a 320gb drive. Given that the most you could fit in the space is a a terabyte, I'd just go with a network attached solution for more than that. I may very well get a couple of these eventually. Gotta pay down debt first, tho :)

I hate that the price went up. :(

The Education discount will knock $50 off.

I'm hoping that the supply side of the iPad equation will be dealt with prior to fall and that Apple will do a back to school promo involving it. That might be enough to tempt me...

I'm hoping that the supply side of the iPad equation will be dealt with prior to fall and that Apple will do a back to school promo involving it. That might be enough to tempt me...

excellent point. wish the free touch offer applied to the mini.

maybe I'm better off buying a drobo first. I did just build my win7 machine in December. :) and it's pretty badass.

yeah, but then you have to pay sales tax. Not much of a discount. Just buy it online via Macmall (assuming you don't live in one of the two states that they must charge sales tax) and don't mess with the Edu discount.

Quick question, Mac guys. I'm passing my old iMac on to a friend, what's the best way to set it up clean for him, but with continued access to the iLife suite and current iTunes library?

If none of the music in iTunes is from the store, move the music folder into /Users/Shared then create a new user with administrator privileges and delete the old, original admin user. With the new admin user, either move the music folder into that user's folder, or tell iTunes where to look for it by holding down the Option key when you open iTunes.

Any of you guys use a newsreader? I bought Panic Unison, and while decent enough it does slow my machine to a crawl when downloading big files. Any recommendations for something a bit less sapping?

I've tried many newsreaders, Forte, News Leecher, Newsman Pro, newsbin, Agent, Newsrover, Grabit, hogwasher, etc. The best luck I've had so far is with Forte, saving the posts I want as nzbs and loading them unto sabnzbd, newsman pro worked great since it saved and showed large posts in a collapsable thread, and it automatically saved them unto a specific folder without specifying, so you could easily download an entire newsgroup. It's too bad that it was extremely slow, and very unefficient. One big problem is that downloading/par2/unrar from usenet is hd depedent, so that might be why it slows your computer down to a crawl, you can try putting par2/unrar unto a storage drive so this doesn't happen(or getting an ssd). I know some of these are not available on mac, but maybe this will be of some use to you.