Topaz DAC/AMP

Dreadhead

nice.....

I don't know exactly what is Whisplash Audio, but one thing for sure now is that I will never deal with them. I understand that the sponsored threads are payed for so the manufacturer can do whatever he wants, but it should not be an opportunity to write total BS and get away with it. My question was in no way offensive, juste a simple interrogation.

I just asked him what he means by "optimum performance", let's see what he comes up with.

Already deleted...

I don't know exactly what is Whisplash Audio, but one thing for sure now is that I will never deal with them. I understand that the sponsored threads are payed for so the manufacturer can do whatever he wants, but it should not be an opportunity to write total BS and get away with it. My question was in no way offensive, juste a simple interrogation.

I tried again, let's see what happens.

In case it gets deleted this was my post:

For optimum performance from your USB source and this DAC, we recommend that you purchase a CryoParts USB cable from Whiplash Audio: ...

What exactly are the advantages of the CryoParts USB cable over a standard USB cable? Thanks.

Edited by morphsci

Damn...

"The headphone driver portion of the Topaz is quite special, utilizing two of the high performance TI/Burr Brown OPA2134 OPAMP's, allowing the Topaz to comfortably drive any headphone from 32ohm to 300ohm. The line ouput section gets the same attention to detail as the rest of the unit and employs two of the Analog Device AD817 OPAMP's, allowing the Topaz to be at home in a high end two channel audio system. Impressively, the Topaz also use four of the TI NE5534 OPAMP's for the I/V section, a testament to their dedication to quality and good sound."

So dedicated. So testamented.

"We start with our cryo-treated USB cable as seen below and then add two layers of shielding, one of these a being a very trick (read expensive!) carbon fiber based material. We also cut the end back a bit, add some ERS fabric and damp the ends and the junction where the end attaches to the cable. These tweaks, while seeming like they would make be insignificant, to our ears, made quite a difference. Why? Hmmm..."

Link

"We start with our cryo-treated USB cable as seen below and then add two layers of shielding, one of these a being a very trick (read expensive!) carbon fiber based material. We also cut the end back a bit, add some ERS fabric and damp the ends and the junction where the end attaches to the cable. These tweaks, while seeming like they would make be insignificant, to our ears, made quite a difference. Why? Hmmm..."

Link

O.K. I tried again.

From the sound of it they don't actually build their own USB cable (smart move), but modify an existing one that hopefully has the proper impedance control, etc. (would need to research the USB spec to see what this actually is).

Typical BS in specing the crystal using a meaningless long term frequency stability figure (ppm) rather than phase noise (jitter).