Papa Monkey Wants a Rig--Seeking Advice

The Monkey

Do my Dad really enjoyed himself at the NYC Meet. He liked the people and had a great time listening to the awesome rigs. He used to be an audio enthusiast (stereo/speaker, not headphone) and I think the Meet might have rekindled the flame. It's cool because he's nearing retirement and will need a hobby or he will drive my mother insane. And he's asked me to recommend a starter rig. >:D

I'd like to start him out with a rig for around $1000 (less would be good). Just an amp and cans for the time being. DAC will be down the road, maybe. He listens to a lot of classic rock and folk, with a smattering of female country. His hearing is not 100% and he has a really enormous head and pretty big ears (which he readily admits; the ears he passed on to me:palm:). At the Meet, he thought that Grados generally were too bright. He liked the 650--a lot. And he really had a good time listening to the Woo Audio amps. A wrinkle is that he would prefer closed cans so he doesn't disturb my mom.

So here are the general guidelines I have so far:

- Closed cans

- Warm sound signature for cans

- Comfortable cans for the large-headed

- Warm amp (it seems that he is really sensitive to anything splashy)

- Relatively transportable would be a plus

- Equipment preferably new

Let's assume the iPod's line out as source for now.

Here's my thinking so far:

- Denon D5000 or D2000

- Woo Audio WA6

However, I seek the always helpful input of this group.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the D5000 could be a tad bit bright for him. Moreover the leak some sound, but not as much as Grados or Senns. IMO HD600/650 should be about perfect, being the HD25 the natural closed alternative for him.

For a different flavor, but still musical, nuanced and quite right, what about ESW9 or ESW10? You'd not even need an amp.

Oopps just noticed that jinp had suggested those already :palm:

Dinny-

I say you beat up JP a bit on the price of his W2002s and buy a stock WA6 and your pops will be in heaven. The AT woodies in general is a great idea that already has been posted a couple times, although the ESW9 is too small and not sealed enough to my mind. The W1000 is a really nice way to start for someone who likes the warmer signature, although those W2002s are faster and really way better than I remember them.

I also think that the HD-25 might be a good option but did he ever listen to yours before you sold them?

Another option is finding a CD3000 but those are not easy to dredge up .

Dinny-

I say you beat up JP a bit on the price of his W2002s and buy a stock WA6 and your pops will be in heaven. The AT woodies in general is a great idea that already has been posted a couple times, although the ESW9 is too small and not sealed enough to my mind. The W1000 is a really nice way to start for someone who likes the warmer signature, although those W2002s are faster and really way better than I remember them.

I also think that the HD-25 might be a good option but did he ever listen to yours before you sold them?

Another option is finding a CD3000 but those are not easy to dredge up .

If you need something vaguely like HD650 sound in a closed can for under $1000, the only thing that strikes my mind is the JVC HP-DX1000 (would have to get used on that budget). If the newer DX700 has a similar sound, that might be perfect.

The DX1000 has even more bass than the HD650, while maintaining a nice treble sparkle. Like the 650, I found them to be superbly musical and one of the least fatiguing listens out there - that's important for closed cans which tend to be either shrill, honky, or both until you get to the L3000/R10. The DX1000 less neutral than the 650 (mainly for its bass response), but a nonetheless very pleasing balance to my ears.

So that leaves what, $200-300 for an amp? Fortunately the old dynalo is exceptionally good, and cheap :) The Headamp V2 is cheap when it turns up. Or, look into the M^3 or an upgraded PPA. I'd stick with SS on this budget, especially since many of the closed headphones are low-impedance. The headphone is going to be a more important consideration than the amp at this level, especially since it must be closed.

I've owned the W10vtg/W2002/W11jpn/W5000, and have borrowed a modded Denon 5000. Though it may go against the grain here, all of them bothered me for one reason or another, upon longer term listening if not right off the bat. Well, actually the W11jpn was fairly nice but they're rare.

@Monkey, well the CD3000 has been popping up on Y Jpn quite often recently. IIANM, there was one there last week.

If you're thinking about the W10vtg, there is one over there right now for 36,800yen:

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g64057584

I've owned the CD3000 before and I wouldn't say they are warm sounding, especially compared to the W11jpn which I also owned side by side. I posted a review here on HC if that helps.

And if you're thinking about the DX1000, IIANM, there is an exact same model in germany with a slightly different model designation which goes for cheaper(400++ eur me thinks). I think it was Victor HA-DX1000 instead of the HP-DX1000, they said same headphone different name. I saw it posted over at HF. The model with HA s the cheaper one. Might be worth looking into. If you find a used one, it should save you a load of cash. :)

If your dad really liked the HD650 and wants a closed headphone, there is also that headphile HD650 wood cups that was being sold over at HF. Dunno if that would be a worthwhile investment or not.

If your dad really liked the HD650 and wants a closed headphone, there is also that headphile HD650 wood cups that was being sold over at HF. Dunno if that would be a worthwhile investment or not.

Noooooooooooooo :D

The HD650 was not meant to sound shrill and nasal. That's what happened when I foolishly purchased the maple headphile cups years ago (fall '04 IIRC).

Interesting info on the JVC DX1000, btw. I had no idea - should be worth a look!

Yeah, the JVC thing is worth looking into. I saw two guys bickering about it on HF, their posts got moderated. :P

One guy was selling his HP DX1000 in the FS forum and another guy came in and made a comment about how it could be found for cheaper in Europe and this sale was not worth it. They took this fight into the normal headphone section forum too. But most of their bickering posts have been cleaned up now.

Not much trace of it now.

I wonder why this info has not been more widely picked up at HF yet?

Lots of money can be potentially saved, especially if you can find a used HA DX1000. Might be worth looking into this if any one of you want to toy with the idea of getting the DX1000. ;)

Oh, and the HD650 thingy... I figured just as much!

It costs a bomb too :P

A plan is coming together....

At first, I thought I would put a system together for him and he'd pay for it. But Nate's going to return my old DT770's to me, and, if all works out, I'll buy Crappy's ECSS. That way I can put the system together and buy it for the Old Man. I wish it could be more, but times is tough. At least it gets him started.

I predict he'll buy a Zana by Christmas.:)