Netflix Streaming Coming to PS3

tkam

• 7 months later...

Initial impression is not so good. The interface is rather clunky and slow. The video quality has been decent to bad, though I think this is more a result of my inconsistent Comcrap service. Also, I kept having issues with TV shows that were supposed to be in 16:9 showing up in incorrect aspect ratio. The most annoying part is that you need to use the Netflix streaming disc every time you want to use Netflix on PS3, which I didn't realize - I thought it was just an initial install disc of sort.

Initial impression is not so good. The interface is rather clunky and slow. The video quality has been decent to bad, though I think this is more a result of my inconsistent Comcrap service. Also, I kept having issues with TV shows that were supposed to be in 16:9 showing up in incorrect aspect ratio. The most annoying part is that you need to use the Netflix streaming disc every time you want to use Netflix on PS3, which I didn't realize - I thought it was just an initial install disc of sort.

Might want to check that all of your Display settings are selected. I had the same problem with other media until I enabled all settings.

• 1 month later...

Just figured that I'd bump this to say that I received my streaming DVD yesterday and tried it last night. Setup was simple and I seem to have sufficient bandwidth to maintain even the HD tagged titles (tested with Terminator 2). I hope that they continue to add content as the choices are somewhat limited and it'll be interesting to see if Comcast and other service providers start getting pissy about it if it gains in popularity.

Added disclaimer: regular def content stuff looks pretty awful on my 42" TV, but the HD stuff was very watchable.

We got one of the Roku boxes for Christmas... it's been fun. So far the connection is good and I haven't had any picture issues. Overall I like it, but finding a movie in a long list is cumbersome and awkward. I hope that implement some sort of search feature so you don't have to just scroll through multiple titles.

• 3 months later...

I wish there was a way to look for HD streaming titles as well. In regards to video quality, after some issues initially (back in November of '09), we've been getting consistently good to excellent video quality regardless whether the streamed media is regular-def or high-def (except when we're having connection problem - which is a problem with Comcast and not Netflix). FWIW, my PS3's output is upscaled via Denon AVR4308 (though original aspect ratio is kept).

• 5 months later...