PDX March 09

dBel84

Ken started this over on the other side but this is where all the love is ;)

Hey all , really good to have met all the new folk and of course to catch up with old faces.

I just love the DIY enthusiasm in PDX , yes I am a little biased but it is fun to 'shoot the breeze' without people glazing over. :D

talk about gangsta :beerchug:

Picture117.jpg

Finally managed to twist searleb's arm to join us and he brought along his UBER cool Bijou - very clean workmanship and just oozes simplicity and form. oh yeah - sounds like a Bijou :D , you have to hear one to get it.

Picture108.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Many new experiences and some I have been wanting have as well as revisiting.

Many highlights for me

Ken of ALO fame brought along his arc of goodness - there seemed to be no end of the wonderfull treats :)

He brought a pair of his new Amphora amps along as well as their bigger partner in crime the Isabella.

Far too many headphones and recabled goodies to mention but of special note was his beautiful burl HF-1's . This was the first time I got to hear these headphones and I like them alot. He also had something very dear to my heart tucked away in one of the boxes - a Silver Sig Earmax. To keep my epilogue short, this was the headphone amp that really got my juices flowing for headphones and amps - way back when they released the original and the 'new' HD580 - luckily I don't age but just a little more wrinkly. Needless to say they were fun to listen to and particularly enjoyed them with me YH100s.

K1000 with the Manley Stingray - just an "out-of-head" experience. Glad to have finally heard what people get excited about. I can see how this sound can grow on you and although not in any way unpleasant, not something that would fit into my lifestyle at this time.

Picture119.jpg

Compact Hybrid - yes I am a Cavalli fan and this is no disappointment - much bigger than its diminutive size would suggest. I didn't have much time with them as in many meet conditions but the overall quick impression was very favourable - strong bass, good transient response, sparkly highs .... what more could a fella want.

Picture116.jpg

The Starving Student was another fun listen - people keep asking me about it and I have no reference - well now I can happily say that yes, it can drive orthos well ;-)

Revisiting the PPX3 with the HD650 was a very good thing too. It was OK with the orthos but has a special synergy with the HD650s.

And just in the nick of time, Dr`Strangelove arrived with a beat monoblock amp and his AT electrets - thanks for lugging that monster up the stairs to share it with us.

Picture121.jpg

Low point - those friggin e12 circuits on the Stackers - both amps started tripping after much use , not sure what to make of this yet but I did get to throw a whole host of headphones at the amps and they are MUCH quieter with all the headphones compared to my test phones = AD2000 / Grado etc - much relief as I had been pulling my hair out trying to kill everylast bit of noise.

Final high - HP50 made a HUGE impression on a good few folk who tried them. bang goes any chance of the ebay surge slowing down anytime soon ;).

Picture112.jpg

CopyofPicture113.jpg

thanks again all for a fun time ..dB

That was my trademark paint until I ran out :D = you are looking at the original stacker. If you look behind the amp there is another orange box = S22 plus tube heater supply for the EHHA. The latset ones have all been metalic Blue but I just ran out of that so I will have to see which can appeals the next time I build anything :P ( and yes the kids do get to choose ;D ) ..dB

Was there really a rig that had an Apache (MSRP = $2995.00) fed by an Oppo (~$400) driving HP-2's (~$1000 + cable)? I love seeing a rig with good monetary balance.

not at the meet I attended ;)

no apache , a bloke pretending to be Tonto - nicked all the good cookies, bastard!

only HP2 came out of the yamaha stable and mighty luvely example at that.

..dB

EDIT

BUT a few good cd rom sources ;-)

Guest sachu
not at the meet I attended ;)

no apache , a bloke pretending to be Tonto - nicked all the good cookies, bastard!

only HP2 came out of the yamaha stable and mighty luvely example at that.

..dB

EDIT

BUT a few good cd rom sources ;-)

umm is that my HP2 you are speaking of?