Vinyl: A Social Marker?

Grahame

Be just like the Cool Kids, with their fancy Vinyl.

"Why would anyone buy vinyl in this day and age?"

"To be really cool," says Mark Wadhwa, one half of the pair behind the Vinyl Factory, which in 2003 rescued the EMI vinyl pressing plant in Hayes from closure. "Everyone can download. If you've got a vinyl record you're different."

Vinyl: The business duo who believe it's got a big part to play in music's future - Telegraph

VFAPOSTER.jpg

Curiously enough, I do remember my first download.

Me too. My wife had just gone to business school and gained access to our first ever broadband connection. Someone told me about this new thing called Napster and claimed it had "all sorts of weird stuff," so I searched for the first obscure song that popped into my head: Dream Academy -- Life In A Northern Town.

Aheyanownownowwww-heyyyeheyyyeyaaa.

It is perhaps telling failure of the advert that it causes people to think about their first downloads rather than about vinyl.

I can remember my first LP too if that makes any difference. In fact I think I can remember my first of every format I own except CD.

god, in my town vinyl is a social marker. I know over ten people that have a 5000 + record collection. I know a guy that has his vinyl collection insured for 50k. These are people that hover around the poverty line, not a bunch of rich kids. They are are all like jon Kussak's character from Hi Fidelity.

It is perhaps telling failure of the advert that it causes people to think about their first downloads rather than about vinyl.

I can remember my first LP too if that makes any difference. In fact I think I can remember my first of every format I own except CD.

My first LPs were a Christmas present, along with a really cool GE record player. They were Elvis : Aloha From Hawaii Via Satelite & The Chipmunks. That Alvin had me in stitches.

My first download was Bloodrock : DOA off of Napster. It was a trippy, psychedelic oddity from my past.

In my city, vinyl is being sold to a bunch of wannabes - hipsters and DJs. The market for "serious" vinyl purchases is eclipsed by the fadsters.

I'm not sure how you would even know this information. Maybe you just hang out with a bunch of wannabes, hipsters, and djs?