Stax Headphone Question

Col11

Hi was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I have a pair of Stax Gamma Pro and SRD7SB that I have had for many years, but have not used them for a long time as the thin diaphrams of the Gammas Developed holes in many years ago reducing the volume and freqency response (I had a look inside). Also the headband if broken.

I have recently found out after after all these years doing some research that this was the wrong type of adaptor for these Gamma Pros, - the SRD7SB being a "NORMAL" type 6 pin adapter and the Gamma Pros being a "PRO" type 5 pin connection which require different bias voltages. The shop that originally sold the adaptor and headphones to my Dad did not realise this.

So my question is this: - although the 5 pin PRO plug of the headphones fits into the 6 pin NORMAL adaptor socket, - has the damage the diaphrams endured been due to this mismatch of does this type of damage occur naturally over time? Is it OK to use the 5 pin PRO plug in a 6 pin NORMAL adaptor or is it a real no no?

Also was wondering (as I have tried in the UK and parts are not availiable anymore), - is it possible to still buy replacement parts anywhere at all, - I obviously need new diaphrams and headband for my Gamma Pros or they are junk?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Colin

The difference is just their bias voltage and Pro models shouldn't be in any danger from the lower normal bias voltage.

Sadly there are no spares anywhere, none I've seen in a long time anyway. Occasionally some spares may turn up as someone finds some old stock buried in an old box but this is getting very rare now.

Hey Smeggy,

Thanks a lot for the info. Its a real shame that spares are not availible anymore. Will have to abandon the Gamma Pros.

I just managed to pick up some Lambda Pros and an SRD-X Pro so I'll be looking for a SRD7MKii or SRD7Pro (adaptors with pro sockets) to use with the Lambda Pros soon and my tube speakers amps (as I hear the SRD-X Pro is OK but not that great as it uses cheap car chips). I could use the SRD7SB with the Lambda Pros safetly but I undertsand when you use a normal bias socket with Pro bias headphones you lose some bandwith and the sound quality suffers.

I might well also try to find some normal bias Lambdas too for use with my existing SRD7SB too, as I hear the normal Lambdas are very good as well.

Cheers again for your help,

Colin

The difference is just their bias voltage and Pro models shouldn't be in any danger from the lower normal bias voltage.

Sadly there are no spares anywhere, none I've seen in a long time anyway. Occasionally some spares may turn up as someone finds some old stock buried in an old box but this is getting very rare now.

Hey Smeggy,

Thanks a lot for the info. Its a real shame that spares are not availible anymore. Will have to abandon the Gamma Pros.

I just managed to pick up some Lambda Pros and an SRD-X Pro so I'll be looking for a SRD7MKii or SRD7Pro (adaptors with pro sockets) to use with the Lambda Pros soon and my tube speakers amps (as I hear the SRD-X Pro is OK but not that great as it uses cheap car chips). I could use the SRD7SB with the Lambda Pros safetly but I undertsand when you use a normal bias socket with Pro bias headphones you lose some bandwith and the sound quality suffers.

I might well also try to find some normal bias Lambdas too for use with my existing SRD7SB too, as I hear the normal Lambdas are very good as well.

Cheers again for your help,

Colin

Yeah, I like the normal bias Lambda myself though I still ended up trading it. It was my Fave of all the variants I heard. If you want a pro energizer, be prepared to either wait for a good deal or pay big bucks for it. Especially the MkII. I lucked out on mine and got it reasonably cheap but they can go to $500. The SRD7 pro goes for less.

The Normal bias will run them happily though, you'll lose some volume and dynamics but at least you're in a good position to bide your time for a deal with that and the SRD-X in hand.

I does suck that the old parts are all tapped out, we normally just buy another complete one and keep the old one for spares.

Hi Smeggy,

Many thanks for repying, - the info is really helpful info for me and very much appreciated.

I got the Lambda Pros and SRD-X Pro today, - tried it out, - really great, - I am thrilled. The SRD-X Pro seems to actually be a lot better than I thought but it obviously is the limiting factor. I tried the Normal and Pro outputs on it with the Lambda Pros and there is a little difference, - the Pro does sound fuller which I prefer, however the Normal is still listenable. This is good, - so I can probably use these Lambda Pros with my Normal bias SRD7SB for the time being from my tube speaker amps until I find a proper Pro adaptor for a power amp (i.e. the SRD7 Pro or SRD7 MKII).

I far prefer these Lambda Pros from the Gammas Pros anyway. While those Gamma Pros are maybe a touch more transparent in the treble perhaps (becuase of the smaller driver?) they are just far too thin/anemic to sound good with most material. They really did sound tinny IMO. Really glad I bought this used setup, -I should have done this years ago rather than sulking all that time over my dud Gammas Pros. I was set back alot around ten years ago when I bought the Lambda Nova Basic system (the original one, not the current one) and was really disappointed with the sound in comparison to the Gammas (nothing like as transparent and a quite tinny sound too), - I resold it immediately. I thought I would never get good electrostatic stax sound again without spending thousands. I should have gone secondhand instead years ago!

Just got a couple of questions if you don't mind: -

People seem to say they prefer the Normal Bias Lambdas compared to the Lambda Pros. Just wondered if you have heard both of them? If so what is the difference, - is the Normal Lambda a bit smoother and less analytical, - perhaps warmer? (this is a guess). I might well look for a pair.

I am going to obviously have to look for a SRD7 Pro or SRD7 MkII asap for use with these Lambda Pros. Just wondering if you knew, - why is the MKII normally dearer, - I know it was a bit newer, - but are the transforemrs different or something?, (does it sound better?) or is it just more pricey becuase it has both types of output sockets, - Normal and Pro (and hence is more flexible) whereas the SRD7 Pro just has 2 Pro outputs.

Yeah, I like the normal bias Lambda myself though I still ended up trading it. It was my Fave of all the variants I heard. If you want a pro energizer, be prepared to either wait for a good deal or pay big bucks for it. Especially the MkII. I lucked out on mine and got it reasonably cheap but they can go to $500. The SRD7 pro goes for less.

The Normal bias will run them happily though, you'll lose some volume and dynamics but at least you're in a good position to bide your time for a deal with that and the SRD-X in hand.

I does suck that the old parts are all tapped out, we normally just buy another complete one and keep the old one for spares.

I heven't heard the Lambda Pro or Signature, just the original one, 303, 404 and Nova sig. The old one is smoother and fuller to me, with a less sharply defined top end... some call it the Stax etch, as in it's too sharply presented.

Buying second hand is always a good thing, especially with Stax as for the most part they are very reliable, however, the Lambdas are famous for never dying. The blasted things live forever. When the end comes, the cockroackes will be sat there eating twinkies and listening to the Lambdas ;)

As to the SRD's, the MkII is more valuable to many of us running both normal and Pro sets, there are probably less of them in circulation too which pushes the price up. However, as you've found yourself, the Normal bias runs them just fine so you don't need to rush into a Pro box. The transformes are the same, only the bias circuit is different.

Whichever one you find will be fine... be prepared for a battle though, there are quite a few Stax fans who will want it as well :D

I bought mine through a Tokyo classified ad and a lot of negotiation with the seller.

Good luck.

Any difference you heard between the 303 and 404, smeggy?

Yeah, I think it's time to build me a SRD-7 MkII.

Not so's you'd notice. Only the cable and color is different and Stax cable is decent anyway. Not worth the extra $100 imo.

If you manage to build a MkII style circuit with transfos, I wants one to stuff in my Beta 22 so it's all integrated. I'm going to stuff a Sony transfo in it too for my electrets. I'm getting tired of all these damn boxes. I might stuff a Buffalo DAC in it as well just for good measure at a later date :D

Good, I like saving money. But it is hard to decide between the two extremely hideous colors. I wish they kept everything black. They already label the new Lambdas by their proper names and the 404 has a wider cable.

Damn that thing is going to be massive and heavy and you're probably going to have to massively shield everything from everything else. :D

I got something called school and not failing to deal with now, but I'm probably going to build one of runeight's Very Compact Hybrid Amps after March 6 and then build an SRD-7 MkII circuit after that. I'll order parts for two or three and see what happens. Definitely not going to ship trafos though, not very cost effective to ship.;D

Hi Smeggy,

Many thanks for the info. Looks like finding a Pro adaptor (7 MKII or 7 Pro) is not going to be too easy.

I am quite taken too by how many times I have heard that people prefer the Normal Bias Lambda from the Lambda Pros anyway so maybe I should look for a pair of them considering I already have a normal bias socketed SRD7SB. How rare are the Normal Bias Lambdas?, - is it the same situation as the SRD7 MKII?

Thanks again for your kind help,

Colin

I heven't heard the Lambda Pro or Signature, just the original one, 303, 404 and Nova sig. The old one is smoother and fuller to me, with a less sharply defined top end... some call it the Stax etch, as in it's too sharply presented.

Buying second hand is always a good thing, especially with Stax as for the most part they are very reliable, however, the Lambdas are famous for never dying. The blasted things live forever. When the end comes, the cockroackes will be sat there eating twinkies and listening to the Lambdas ;)

As to the SRD's, the MkII is more valuable to many of us running both normal and Pro sets, there are probably less of them in circulation too which pushes the price up. However, as you've found yourself, the Normal bias runs them just fine so you don't need to rush into a Pro box. The transformes are the same, only the bias circuit is different.

Whichever one you find will be fine... be prepared for a battle though, there are quite a few Stax fans who will want it as well :D

I bought mine through a Tokyo classified ad and a lot of negotiation with the seller.

Good luck.