What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Void of Silence, Grave of Civilization -- fuck yeah. Quite possibly the doomiest record I've heard since Shape of Despair. The vocals may get on one's nerves (it's the mournful Swans-esque style), but clean trumps growl 365 days of the year, in my book. Will have to check out their back catalog, see if it's as good.

Void of Silence, Grave of Civilization -- fuck yeah. Quite possibly the doomiest record I've heard since Shape of Despair. The vocals may get on one's nerves (it's the mournful Swans-esque style), but clean trumps growl 365 days of the year, in my book. Will have to check out their back catalog, see if it's as good.
And again. RIYL: Agalloch, Swallow the Sun, Shape of Despair, the first Kayo Dot album. Average song length is a little over 10 minutes, and that's including the 3 minute prelude -- link.

It's reminding me of something else (again, Swans?), but I can't put my finger on it.

^That's my least favorite PM album. Haven't listened to it in ages.

I'm on holidays, so I've spent most of the morning listening to a lot of discs:

ef48228348a09acf85264110.L.jpg

61rHh-js4QL.jpg

51QYg4Qq7KL.jpg

Nina Simone - Nina Simone and Piano

51fQpjizU2L.jpg

31kAzopXIPL.jpg

462a9833e7a05fcb7f3d2110.L.jpg

51dTQaf1zKL.jpg

Randy Crawford - Now we may begin

And finally, currently listening to these crazy guys:

The Bad Plus - Never Stop

512BK26sEVL.jpg

Anathema, Hindsight -- there is something about metal bands doing non-metal music that often turns out really interesting to me -- as in, can keep my interest over more than one listen. This one has definitely grown on me. I will have to admit to not "getting" A Natural Disaster when it first came out -- I really dig the material from that one now.

Other interesting bands that have really "broken out" -- Ulver, The Gathering (I'm specifically thinking of Home, in their case).

The Ocean, Heliocentral (instrumental version of Heliocentric) -- quite dig. Will have to investigate this "post-metal" genre further.

I've only recently discovered the post-metal genre in about the last year and I've found quite a bit of stuff that I like, if you haven't heard them yet try Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, and Pelican all of which are instrumental, and then of course there's Isis, Rosetta, Intronaut, MilanKu, OM and Old Man Gloom to name a few.

Another band, not really post-metal, just a band that for some reason I think you'd like is S