What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are definitely hooky as hell, but I would think the gothic image they perpetuate would scare off the mall crowd. The music is more Within Temptation (whom I love) ...-lite.

EDIT: This is my favorite track on the new album:

Oh, and you'll like this, too, they certainly don't...ah...skimp on the marketing: this has nothing to do with penis gourd

EDIT #3: They also remind me of The Letter Black.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Continuing the "hot album covers" theme, I finished disk one of the Kenji Kawai K-Pleasures: Best of Movies SACD box set, and continued on with disk two:

And yes, it includes tastefully obscured gratuitous nudity as well.

This looks like such a cool box set, is this all of the best stuff from all of his soundtracks?

N.P. Mani Neumeier - Privat (1993)

This looks like such a cool box set, is this all of the best stuff from all of his soundtracks?
Yes, exactly, only IMHO, the best stuff would include all three pieces from the suites of both ghosts in the shell, and they only have one movement each. Harumph.

Plus, SACD. So, teh awsum.

EDIT: But then again, it does have that 10 minute track that I mentioned in the "favorite 5 minutes of music" thread, "The Ballade of Puppets: The Ghost Awaits in the World Beyond", easily my favorite of the three on that soundtrack, and quite possibly my favorite piece of music evar.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Yes, exactly, only IMHO, the best stuff would include all three pieces from the suites of both ghosts in the shell, and they only have one movement each. Harumph.

Plus, SACD. So, teh awsum.

EDIT: But then again, it does have that 10 minute track that I mentioned in the "favorite 5 minutes of music" thread, "The Ballade of Puppets: The Ghost Awaits in the World Beyond", easily my favorite of the three on that soundtrack, and quite possibly my favorite piece of music evar.

I got to get my hands on a copy of this :)

Amazon.

Pfff...I don't remember paying that much. You may want to check eBay -- I would check both "best of movies" and "k-pleasure(s)".

Me: Guilt Machine, On This Perfect Day -- I have discovered my next obsession. Easily Arjen Anthony Lucassen's most accessible and least "wanky" project. It really behooves him to work with people (a) of this caliber, and (B) who will hold him back from doing the same old thing as he's done everywhere else (except for The Human Equation -- easily his most cohesive work). I had my iPod on pseudo-album-random, and I thought at first it was some trip-hop thing until several minutes into the song when the electric guitars kicked in. It was kind of delightful. The guy has a voice. And range. Timbre like Freddie Mercury, sincerity like an award-winning actor, power like an icebreaker -- not just isolated instances, but sustain, as well. I listened to it twice in a row. And yeah, there's some instrumental sections, but it's never too long -- it works. Proggers, give it a listen.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

i have the German PD 83647. no idea how they compare, but the RCAs i have, both Japanese and W. German, blow away any of the modern remasters. not even close.

Yeah this was $5 spend well. :D CD is minty as well. Majority of my Bowie CDs are early 90's Rykos, not bad but I do like the RCAs that I sometimes buy used better, I have one new Virgin remaster, horrible stuff.

Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People EP. An 8 song EP that's nearly 60 minutes. $5 for FLACs from Bandcamp. No real verdict yet, the "original version" of the title track is very oddly mixed but there was potential there at some point. The classic rock version is much better. That's about as far as I've gotten so far.

I'm partial towards the Ryko series, myself, mostly because Bowie oversaw them himself, so even if one doesn't agree with the decisions, it is the intention of the artist. In fact, it was his idea (IIRC) to run the masters through a certain tape deck to get "that analog warmth" at the last second.

i read a profile on her in The New Yorker, but i haven't gotten around to actually listening to any of her music. good?

I like her first album, not that much the second, though it's not bad. Have yet to listen the new one. I hope Al tells us something.

Sorry for the slow response and need for foot tapping. I liked the album but only listened once. Solid music, really nice vocals and even scatting that did not bother and annoy me. :) Give her a listen.

Now playing Sketches if Spain in Antonio's honor.

Thanks for the impressions, Al. I'll have to give it a listen then. Sketches of Spain, nice choice. As things are going by over here that album should be renamed to "bits and pieces of Spain" :palm:

Reks, I love that Horace Silver too, one of my all time favorite albums. We both lost our fathers being very young, so it must have some deep meaning or something.

Now listening to Katy Perry - Teenage Dream. A foreseeable sequel to her first one. I wonder if this girl would be able to sing a shit without the vocoder/auto-tune on.

Then this rather nice album: Alicia Keys - Unplugged

alicia-keys-unplugged.jpg

Edited by Torpedo