Bryston BDA-1 DAC

Hopstretch

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

x2. You know, you don't need one of every DAC. Just one good one.

Yes, but I need to try one of every DAC to find that which I believe to be a good one. Plus the Bryston was a decent price. Plus I'm crazy.

We're going to have to check Dinny into DAC-rehab.

Ugh, I know, I know. But this is it--I mean it this time.:eek:

I'm trying to send back the UDAC today. My 30-day return window expired yesterday, but that should roll over to today since I couldn't ship on a Sunday. I emailed HR to confirm.

SOURCE FIRST, SECOND, THIRD, AND FOURTH, AND MAYBE EVEN FIFTH AND SIXTH!

Manley SkipJack FTW!

Seriously, the SkipJack is making these comparisons pretty fun/easy. Of course, it's single-ended, so the direct comparisons need to be understood in that context. More relatives than absolutes.

Oh ok, I didn't realize.

I use a 4 way balanced audio switch with identical Mogami cables that I had my wife rearrange and at regular listening volumes I couldn't tell the difference between my $300 DEQ and the $2.5k BC DAC3 or $3k Weiss DAC3. I tried quick switching, I tried long listening with one then switching and I could not identify anything without cheating by cranking the volume and checking the noise floor. I'm not saying there aren't differences with some DACs because there definitely are, (Filburts little number has a huge soundstage, or the Amarra). Not sure what's going on but at least between those three which are aiming at being as true to digital as possible I couldn't hear any difference and I have at least "ok" ears.

Enjoy the hunt :)

My DAC shootout had me sell my ECD-1 for an 0404. The ECD-1 was noticeably better (as in I could reliably identify the difference and blindly preferred the ECD-1), but not $800 better to my personal value scale.

Of course, it's just a matter of time before your personal value scale falls off a cliff. Enjoy the ride, Dinny.

My DAC shootout had me sell my ECD-1 for an 0404. The ECD-1 was noticeably better (as in I could reliably identify the difference and blindly preferred the ECD-1), but not $800 better to my personal value scale.

Of course, it's just a matter of time before your personal value scale falls off a cliff. Enjoy the ride, Dinny.

I couldn't stand to listen to my 0404 (usb model though, probably very different from the PCI) for more than a short periods of time :o

Ok, the BDA-1 changes considerably when using balanced out as opposed to unbalanced. Much. Moar. Better. I'm seeing the limitations of the SkipJack here, because while it is good for switching and doing a quick and dirty relative comparison of single ended sources, it can't do balanced.

Regardless, it is a different DAC when connected to the KGSS DX via balanced XLR. Much more impact, better soundstage, far more detail. You know, just a lot more Canadian.

I continue to like the Dodson more. And tonight, Mrs. Monkey listened "blind." For direct comparison purposes, I have the DACs going through the SkipJack single ended, then into the amps. I didn't tell my woman which DAC was which and let her toggle back and forth with the SkipJack. She was listening to the O2 through the KGSS DX. She spent about 30 minutes listening to various tunes. She preferred the Dodson by a wide margin. Like the ECD-1, she found the BDA-1 "muted." But she also thought the Dodson sounded "brighter," which she preferred.

Mrs. Monkey is pretty good at this stuff. I think her comments are right on the money. And while I don't think the Dodson is bright in the negative connotation that we often ascribe to it, I do think it provides more musical insight than the BDA-1, which seems reserved to me. A bit smoother perhaps, but almost artificially so.

I think the BDA-1 is very good, but I'm beginning to think that I like DACs with a little bit of edge to them. The BDA-1 would be a very good choice for someone who wants a very smooth, refined sound. There's no glare, and no splash. But based on my time with the Dodson, I think the BDA-1 does have just a bit of haze. That's not always bad. And I think the BDA-1 does a nice job of just getting out of the way. But I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with the Dodson.

Of course, the BDA-1 smokes the Dodson in terms of features, though, which makes the decision a bit tougher. I like the defeatable upsampling a lot more than I thought I would.