Bryston BDA-1 DAC

Hopstretch

I met Jonathan Reichbach at Sonic Studio's office and got a good introduction to the features of the Amarra (snip).

Sounds like a good time man! I'm really interested in hearing the software and what it does. My guess it that it will sound very nice and probably has a minimum phase digital filter and other things to smooth out the sound.

Did they give you any idea as to pricing? The model 4 looks like it kicks ass and the eq software etc that's included are nice. I recommend you look at the Mytek too but to be honest at that level if you are happy with the features and find it easy to use then you're likely better off. Make sure you check out gearslutz.

Edit: the pricing is right on the website :palm:

Edited by Dreadhead

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like Metric Halo sells the same hardware as Sonic: Sonic Studio 302 vs. UA 2192 converters - Gearslutz.com

And it's a hell of a lot cheaper:

Equivalent to sonic 302: Metric Halo ULN-2 Mobile I/O FireWire audio interface Expanded | Products | Tekserve

Looks equavalent to Sonic Model 303 or 304:

Metric Halo Mobile Audio I/O 2882 Expanded | Products | Tekserve

The sonic prices for those two can be found here:

Model 300 Audio Interfaces

Edited by Dreadhead

I don't think he's going to CanJam :(

Icarium, I thought I told you. I'm there :)

I am feeling like crap so I took a sick day and setup my new package from Vintage King. I have 3 exactly matched DACS hooked up to my GS-X :) and I can switch between at any time.

I am one pair of XLR cables short to include my DEQ in the showdown :( I also have to use the Weiss as a splitter so I can't have it as my firewire interface though I did try it and it worked amazingly well.

Time to go take a nap...

Edited by Dreadhead

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Model 4 and Amarra software and will bring it to CanJam for the masses to experience. I am just starting to get a sense of it, but I like what I hear and really just want to compare the Model 4 output to a Weiss or other hi-rez DAC. Going to try to have that at CanJam for comparisons and will want honest impressions from whoever hears it. I am crazy enough to consider the Amarra/Model 4/external DAC option because the Model 4 has AD capacity, firewire interface, and other advantages that may make it worthwhile even if the DAC is outclassed. Make a point to check this out at CJ09, please.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who may have missed it earlier, I bought a BDA-1 right before CanJam and sent it to be displayed there, and it arrived back today. I've started preliminary listening and so far, so good. I'd say it sounds really good based on what I've thrown at it so far and despite my amp seriously holding it back (HeadAmp AE-2). I'm using my Plinius CD-101 as the transport and Blue Jeans 1505F as the digital coaxial cable. The Plinius and Bryston front panels are a nice visual match with each other actually, the aluminum on both has the same brushed finish.

I already have two complaints with the Bryston. The output voltage is higher than I'd like (2.3V, compared to the Plinius' 2V) translating to unexpected volume in comparison with my Plinius. It's not so bad with the Qualia but really annoying with the AD2000 since it's so sensitive. Of course this is only an issue as I switch between the two sources.

The second complaint is that the analog output RCA jacks are an extremely tight fit with the tips of my BPT IC-SL interconnects - so tight that I have to force them on, and pulling them off requires full hand-holding. No probs with either my Analysis Plus Silver Oval (which I was using at CanJam) or Moon Audio Silver Dragon V2, so I blame the construction of the IC-SL for this issue.

Also a minor quibble that the adjustable upsampling can't be adjusted from the front panel. :palm:

A self-correction to my post above: actually the upsampling is not adjustable, I only thought it was. I referred back to the manual and the upsampling can only be either turned on or off. 32KHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz are upsampled to 192kHz; 44.1kHz and 88.2kHz are upsampled to 176.4kHz.

Some additional listening tonight has been...interesting. There are a lot of ways I prefer the sound of the Plinius CDP as the source and there have been a few instances where it seemed to be superior too - not many, but those moments made me cackle. Oh the Plinius just sounds so amazing sometimes. :)

The Bryston makes a very good showing though, and I look forward to eventually comparing it with the Ayre QB-9 and another DAC that I may have the opportunity to audition. Works nicely over USB too, though something about it didn't sound quite as good as coaxial does. In any case, I'll be holding off from further comment now until I get a much better amp, which should be happening in the not too distant future.

post-903-12951153365552_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

If you're asking me, I returned the Bryston before my 30 days were up (I bought from Audio Advisor - could've bought used instead but I didn't want to lose money doing a buy & sell). Primary reason I returned it was because I simply preferred the SQ of my Plinius CDP - it was a good DAC, just not up my alley. I was also annoyed it doesn't have a hard power switch - as soon as a power cord is plugged in, it instantly goes into a "standby" mode, and the "power switch" on the front is merely a standby switch. As for the comparison I was going to do with the Ayre QB-9 and the other unmentioned DAC, let's just say I decided not to.

Further impressions will have to come from other people.

I'll also add that I've had some long-running interest in tossing my Plinius CDP for reasons completely unrelated to its SQ, but unfortunately (and annoyingly) I keep coming back to it for specifically its SQ. I love the sound it produces and I suspect I won't be able to ever get rid of it....

I'll also add that I've had some long-running interest in tossing my Plinius CDP for reasons completely unrelated to its SQ, but unfortunately (and annoyingly) I keep coming back to it for specifically its SQ. I love the sound it produces and I suspect I won't be able to ever get rid of it....

This is exactly what happened to me with my Meridian G08: the more DACs I try, the more I like the G08'sound...

So I ended finding and buying a replacement drive (it uses an out of production DVD-ROM) and decided to keep it.

But there are still DACs flowing in and out home :palm:

I saw you told something about that before, but I do not fully understand... Who sent you the drive and, specially, who sent you the new firmware? If you used the rs232 port to load it (i do not see another way, if you are replacing the drive...) what about the software to do it?

(maybe you can PM me with these OT details)

I saw you told something about that before, but I do not fully understand... Who sent you the drive and, specially, who sent you the new firmware? If you used the rs232 port to load it (i do not see another way, if you are replacing the drive...) what about the software to do it?

Looks like you can download it?

I'd update now while you have a working drive, but then wait for it to die before replacing it again (since you recently replaced it).

Being OT is the HC way!! :D I got both the disk and the new drive from the Meridian distributor up here who ordered it directly from them. All you need is a null modem cable and the software Meridian have up on their site. It's been a while but I believe the player went from being V1.02 to V1.52 or something like that.