Turntable tape drive belts?

swt61

I dunno if I'd call that an idler..the motor shaft is coupled to the "pulley"..

Yeah I know. Still about as close Harry Weisfeld is going to get to sell an "upgrade" to VPI owners :)

Though going purely off memory the SSM is the only modern VPI table that doesn't have a notch in the plinth for the motor.

yeah, go with the tape drive. I really like the way the silk is working for me (plus, the Nottingham won't work with tape), but I think in theory the tape is better.

Is this because the silk is more prone to stretching? I believe that was one of reasons Dacron sutures were preferable to silk in certain people.

Edited by deepak

• 3 weeks later...
yeah, go with the tape drive. I really like the way the silk is working for me (plus, the Nottingham won't work with tape), but I think in theory the tape is better.

It would be interesting to see if you could do some sort of direct drive like that new VPI monstrosity...

You know I've been thinking about this for a while now. Would it be as simple as finding a large pulley to attach to the Maxon motor/pod and wrapping it with a large rubber O ring?

What about a wooden pulley/drive wheel?

yes, but you'll have to do some math to see if it will work. Depends on the "gear" ratio in this case, or the pulley diameter to platter ratio. This will tell if the Maxon will be capable to drive. The other issue is eccentricity (?) of the pulley, thereby ensuring that the pulley won't introduce an undulating motion into the table. This would cause sonoriscity failure.