Benefit of LOMC vs HOMC?

deepak

Just curious what the real benefits are of running a low output MC cart vs a high output MC? For example my next phono will be best suited for medium to high output carts unless I used step up transformers.

To use an example with the Dynavector 20X. Is there any benefit to getting the .3 mV with SUTs vs the 2.8 mV without any transformer in the signal path? Quirky enough I know I've read that some people prefer the high end SUTs (OOP S&B silver transformers) with normal phono-stages...

Just looking to maybe learn a thing or two :cool:

the mass of the coils that is needed for a HOMC is greater than for a LOMC. Smaller sized coils can stop and start faster to reproduce music with greater accuracy.

My .24 Zyx Blloom has pretty amazing detail retrieval for a $590 cart. If I had the scratch I would have a good SUT made for it.

Problem is you have to be more careful with wiring, wire routing, and phono amp choice since the signal has to be amplified more, and any noise that gets picked up will also get amplified to a corresponding degree. For ease of setup and equipment matching, HOMC usually works better, but if you're chasing detail & resolution, go LOMC and be prepared for a few roadblocks along the way. Somethings things work out great but there's more potential for problems.

My dealer favours HOMC for anything up to the mid to mid-high range, it's easier to get the system sounding good and keep it sounding good when the customer inevitably starts buying new gear and cycling it through his system.

For ease of setup and equipment matching, HOMC usually works better, but if you're chasing detail & resolution, go LOMC and be prepared for a few roadblocks along the way.

exactly my opinion as well.

Thing is that makes this discovery problematic for me is that I don't like what step-ups do to the sound. I had the S&B silver wound unit for around 3-4 months with an upper end Zyx (and in fact, a friend still has both my old S&B and cartridge and lives 5 minutes away, so it's easy comparison) and it just didn't do it for me, when compared to direct amplification. So, this conclusion pretty much limits me to solid state phono units, or a SS head unit with tube phono (haven't tried this yet though).

I really appreciate the incite. I think I can be happy enough with the Pearl and a HOMC (or Pearl/Cinemag SUT/DL-103) at least with my entry level vinyl setup until I move onto a better table.

So, this conclusion pretty much limits me to solid state phono units, or a SS head unit with tube phono (haven't tried this yet though).

There are no LOMC capable all tube phono-stages?

Edited by deepak

I don't know if there's any that are commercially available which don't use a step-up transformer, there's definitely designs available in the DIY world.

Ones that don't rely on the extra gain stage of a preamp? ie I could still run my own preamp? Can you post some examples what you'd consider really good?

2000455272489756911_rs.jpg

Edited by deepak