Recommendations for high efficiency speakers

recstar24

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock market crash

Washington Mutual just got shut down by the FDIC and sold off to JP Morgan-Chase. JPM-C and Bank of America will be the last ones standing. All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

As for EnAbl, it works. Damned if I know why but it does. The best way to describe it is like this; an untreated speaker is like listening to your rig during the day when it's kinda noisy and the power's rather crappy. With EnAbl it's like listening late at night when it's nice & quiet and the power grid is nice & clean.

As for EnAbl, it works. Damned if I know why but it does. The best way to describe it is like this; an untreated speaker is like listening to your rig during the day when it's kinda noisy and the power's rather crappy. With EnAbl it's like listening late at night when it's nice & quiet and the power grid is nice & clean.

Thanks Aerius for chiming in, your probably the only person I am familiar with that has experience with the enabl process. The horns that I have coming in have actually been treated by Bud Purvine himself, so I'm pretty excited.

The vintage Klipsch are very rocking speakers.

I'm pretty sure my friend has cranked his past 110 dB for prolonged periods of time at parties and nothing has happened to them.

Today, I had got to bring my moth over to a local guy and listen to his cornwalls that he listed on craigslist.

Wow...I cannot believe that such a dynamic, full bodied sound could come from a mere 3 watts.

The bass was pretty outstanding, it literally kicked you in the chest. There was absolutely no horn shout. The integration between the drivers was excellent, as I was listening, I really wasn't analyzing the sound, just enjoying the music. Nothing at all what I was expecting. simply amazing, I think PWK knew what he was doing after all.

BTW - the wife has approved the cornwalls;D I think I am going to hold off for a minty set at a decent price. I do have the horns coming in tomorrow, unfortunately my expectations have been set pretty high after listening to the cornwalls.

recstar24-albums-room-setup-picture287-speaker-rig.jpg

They came in today. They are pretty small actually, my gear rack isn't that big. They image incredibly well. The tone is pretty right on, and do not sound as lean as other single drivers that I have heard. The bass is pretty decent for a 4.5 in not in the corners, I do not have them corner loaded but they are against the wall and the bass quality is very nice, just the lowest notes are not quite there, but what is there is excellent. I have not messed around with placement, right now the balance is just a bit slighted up top, but nothing offensive. THe sound carries off axis very well. It's no cornwall, but it definitely is more "practical" as the cornwalls i saw yesterday were beasts of burden.

/me hopes a certain set of speaker cables are long enough...

Don't worry, 6' is plenty, the picture from the distance I took it makes it look pretty wide, it's not. 6' will be very nice in fact, pretty straight connection with some flexibility and a small loop, and will accomodate placing it even further if i ever wanted to, or if placed in a different room.

I just measured from the binding posts from the amp to the speaker, its a straight loose line of 4'. That should be plenty, and if it goes well, might actually be just enough slack to keep it elevated off the floor;D

BTW - thanks Nate for sending the speaker cables today:D

• 4 weeks later...

Update - speakers rock. Barely listen to cans anymore, the speakers move the air like no other. For single drivers, the horns are incredibly full sounding, especially in the lower midrange regions and upper mid bass. Inarguably the best bass, quantity and quality wise, I have heard from a single driver. Moth drives them beautifully. Happy happy joy joy.