Grado SR 225s vs Allesandro MS-2is

jinp6301

It seems like you don't think it's what you looking for?? how about recabled HD600??

Non-sequiter much?

The only amp I currently have that brings life into this cans is a modified Earmax pro.

That is quite an amp...

morphsci lent me his MS-2s and I've been comparing them to the woodied 225s.

Notable Differences

Woodied 225s

- has much bigger soundstage

- has less bass but goes deeper

- has a more distant sound

MS-2s

- have much much better imaging

- sound much more cohesive

- are sometimes sibilant (similar to the 225s) ???

- has better low level detail

Bigger soundstage and more distant are the same thing, in my experience. You mention sibilance n the ms2s and say it's similar to the 225s, but don't mention sibilance ont he 225s. Do you mean on unmodded 225s?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger soundstage and more distant are the same thing, in my experience. You mention sibilance n the ms2s and say it's similar to the 225s, but don't mention sibilance ont he 225s. Do you mean on unmodded 225s?

Well I guess more distant and bigger soundstage are the same. and I meant the the MS-2 has some sibilance on songs that the 225 doesnt have.

I dont know where I heard the sibilance at first listen. I've been listening to the MS-2s everyday and I dont hear any sibilance at all at normal volumes, except for some classical albums with tipped up treble.

The only downside of the MS-2s is the soundstage. The woody 225 has more depth that the MS-2 doesnt have. But the MS-2 has a much more cohesive sound, ala RS-1, HP-1000. I think MS-2 + bigger cups would be awesome

So the MS-2 definitely wins against the 225. The 225 just doesnt have that coherence across the whole spectrum that the MS-2 has. I always feel like the mid-low bass is missing on the 225 and the treble is tipped up too high.

The two main problems that I have with the MS-2 is that the soundstage is still too small. It sounds like its closed in, like it hits a wall with some music. The other problem is that there's still too little bass. This is most likely a consequence of not having good enough amplification but it bothers me enough to call it a problem.

Maybe I should just get some senns. :palm:

While woodying MS-2is may give you more of what you're looking for, it sounds like the HD-600 is more of what you're looking for. Not super fast, but faster than the 650 and I'd say close to my woodied HF-1s. Smooth treble response, though a bit more forward than my woodied HF-1s. Definitely a headphone that's technically superior to the HF-1 and lower Grados... Hell, probably to all Grados... A well-rounded phone for all genres, IMO, and certainly a more "speaker-like" presentation than you'll get from a Grado.

While woodying MS-2is may give you more of what you're looking for, it sounds like the HD-600 is more of what you're looking for. Not super fast, but faster than the 650 and I'd say close to my woodied HF-1s. Smooth treble response, though a bit more forward than my woodied HF-1s. Definitely a headphone that's technically superior to the HF-1 and lower Grados... Hell, probably to all Grados... A well-rounded phone for all genres, IMO, and certainly a more "speaker-like" presentation than you'll get from a Grado.

while I agree with the above, my HD600 w/Equinox, though sweet, is no Grado.

Don't want to start another one of these debates, but if one likes the Grado sound, well, one is better off getting pair of Grados for it.

Don't want to start another one of these debates, but if one likes the Grado sound, well, one is better off getting pair of Grados for it.

I was responding to this:

Maybe I should just get some senns. :palm:

The problem is there's enough he doesn't like about the Grado sound that it might be time to look elsewhere. If he's looking for a "slower" Grado with a smoother presentation and wider soundstage, what does that leave in the Grado line-up in his price range? Nothing. The HD-600 might be an alternative that would address his issues with both the 225 and MS-2i.

The problem is there's enough he doesn't like about the Grado sound that it might be time to look elsewhere. If he's looking for a "slower" Grado with a smoother presentation and wider soundstage, what does that leave in the Grado line-up in his price range? Nothing. The HD-600 might be an alternative that would address his issues with both the 225 and MS-2i.

I like the 580s that I bought for my dad when its amped by the m^3. I think its the closest thing I can get to the sound I want at my price range.

but its still not a grado :(

I was responding to this:

oops! I stand corrected.

btw. rs1 is not cheap but still works with no amp

a senn or anything recabled plus an amp may match its price.

save up and get the good one and then be done with it, says I

shines way better - yes

needs - depends on the source

why do I have to have the last word? :-)

ok, no more on what's been said a zillion times from me.

anyhow, I am biased, so my opinion is not the best one to seek