Grado SR 225s vs Allesandro MS-2is

jinp6301

When I went to bozebuttons's house for a mini-meet, I got to spend a lot of time with the high end grados (the vintage RS-1 and the HP-1/2/3 especially) and I realized that the 225s doesn't have the sound that I want nor can it scale the same way that the other two phones can.

So, I'm trying to get less shrill treble, a more fuller sound (esp in the low end) with better extension in the lows and a slightly bigger soundstage that keeps the grado sound. Does that sound like the MS-2i's?

PS. and my 225s are woodied, which does fix the problem (with the bass and the soundstage) a small amount but not enough to my liking.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm trying to get less shrill treble, a more fuller sound (esp in the low end) with better extension in the lows and a slightly bigger soundstage that keeps the grado sound. Does that sound like the MS-2i's?

It most definitely will. The bass on the MS-2i is fantastic, especially with flats. And they certainly are not bright or shrill. If anything, I found the MS-2i to be lacking a bit of top end, which is why I sold them eventually. They didn't have the satisfying treble of the RS-1. But of course I've regretted selling them many times because of their ultra smooth sound, great midrange, and aforementioned awesome bass.

I preferred them with flats, but I prefer every Grado with flats aside from the GS1K (haven't heard the PS-1 enough to make a decision).

Well, it just goes to show that people's opinions vary widely: I had the MS-2 and despite trying bowls, reversed bowls, comfies and HD-414 pads (+/- quarter mod), I could never find a setup that tamed what I felt was ear-shredding treble without killing the dynamic punchiness of the headphones. And the midrange, where is the midrange??? In the end, I found I preferred the MS-1 with quarter-modded HD-414 pads. The MS-2 had better bass, though.

If HF-1 prices weren't basically equal to used RS-2s I'd recommend those, but to sound their best I really feel the HF-1s need wood enhancement.

Yup. I had Dan's woodied and recabled pair alongside my stock pair for a couple weeks. If I'd stop being so lazy, I'd be sending pm's right now to get them some NH care.

MS2i is one fine headphone, but compare to "real" Grados, its midrange can be a little bit dry(netural to some)

how about RS2? :) a used pair should be around $350-$400, i guess.

I borrowed the RS-2s for a while after I got my woodies and I dont think that the RS-2s were that much better then the 225s actually.

and the HF-1s are like $400 :(

I borrowed the RS-2s for a while after I got my woodies and I dont think that the RS-2s were that much better then the 225s actually.

and the HF-1s are like $400 :(

I hate to say this but if you don't like the 225s and don't like the RS-2s it could simply be that Grados (in your price range anyway) just aren't for you. :confused:

I have a pair of MS2i's that have been recabled with cardas silver cable. I agree with most of the opinions here on them. To me they are really smooth but are slightly lacking on the top end. I don't find the midrange to be lacking and I couldn't tell you if that's because of the recable or if it's just my ears. The low end is, like everybody says is their strongest suit. They are not bass heavy like some find the upper tier senns but have a ton of punch to them with what is to the right about of bass. Listening to Bjork on them is heavenly.

There is some difference between the RS2 and RS1, but IMO mainly in the imaging: Instrument separation. The RS2 sounded a bit congested in comparison. But I didn't notice an extreme difference in treble. Maybe you got a bright RS2? There is some difference in sound between pairs of Grado of the same designation. That I have experience myself. Some for some reason have harsher highs.

Maybe a pair of the older SR325 (black). Those were a bit smoother, at least mine are.

Also, you may want to experience with the Senn quarter-modded HD-414 yellow pads, those tend to tame the treble a bit compared to the bowls. But not as much as flats.

I hate to say this but if you don't like the 225s and don't like the RS-2s it could simply be that Grados (in your price range anyway) just aren't for you. :confused:

Its just that the RS-2 sounded more like the 225 then the HF-1/RS-1 smooth warm dark sound (which is what I prefer) And I do like the 225s and I could definitely live with them but they're still missing a whole lot in the bass region.

I have a pair of MS2i's that have been recabled with cardas silver cable. I agree with most of the opinions here on them. To me they are really smooth but are slightly lacking on the top end. I don't find the midrange to be lacking and I couldn't tell you if that's because of the recable or if it's just my ears. The low end is, like everybody says is their strongest suit. They are not bass heavy like some find the upper tier senns but have a ton of punch to them with what is to the right about of bass. Listening to Bjork on them is heavenly.

I know you had the 325i's before these. Obviously the high end is lacking compared to them but are they lacking in a way that they dont sound like a grado or they just have less treble then you want?

There is some difference between the RS2 and RS1, but IMO mainly in the imaging: Instrument separation. The RS2 sounded a bit congested in comparison. But I didn't notice an extreme difference in treble. Maybe you got a bright RS2? There is some difference in sound between pairs of Grado of the same designation. That I have experience myself. Some for some reason have harsher highs.

Maybe a pair of the older SR325 (black). Those were a bit smoother, at least mine are.

Also, you may want to experience with the Senn quarter-modded HD-414 yellow pads, those tend to tame the treble a bit compared to the bowls. But not as much as flats.

I've been using the 414 pads almost since I got the 225s and I've heard the black 325 (woodied by nate) and it sounded good, a bit better then the 225s woodied.

I know you had the 325i's before these. Obviously the high end is lacking compared to them but are they lacking in a way that they dont sound like a grado or they just have less treble then you want?

They still sound like grados in every other way than the high end (some would argue the upper midrange). They are still very much a fast and forward sounding headphone just not as much as other grado offering. When I said it is lacking, I should have worded it better. I'm not saying that they're soft or dark, but not as fast as other grados.

it would really depend on what drivers they have.

I have both blacks, with the regular type and with the HP1 type drivers and both are smoother, the HP being almost boringly neutral of the 2. But even the black with regular drivers is smoother than the current offering. Is akin to the older RS1 in that sense. [provided I make sense]

• 5 weeks later...

morphsci lent me his MS-2s and I've been comparing them to the woodied 225s.

Notable Differences

Woodied 225s

- has much bigger soundstage

- has less bass but goes deeper

- has a more distant sound

MS-2s

- have much much better imaging

- sound much more cohesive

- are sometimes sibilant (similar to the 225s) ???

- has better low level detail