AudioZone Dac1

spritzer

I did promise some internal pics a long time ago but here they finally are. I did manage to fuck up the shots of the other side of the board so only the top part shown. The SR-X Mk3 Pro used to show just how tiny this DAC is.

img1673rr5.th.jpg

img1674ek7.th.jpg

img1672gi8.th.jpg

img1675gr5.th.jpg

img1681mu6.th.jpg

Not that many parts used but the quality is very high indeed.

What is this thing? Where's the DAC? Or is it the dip-8 (TDA1543/1545?). Passive I/V with a couple of Rikens is it? And are those two transformers behind the red BGs for the output stage?

I believe the DAC is underneath... It's a single TDA1543 with passive I/V. Transformers are power trannys.

hmm.. those 2 blue caps are ROE MKP1830, out of production now :(

what happened to the 2 big blackgates? was there some sort of damping material there?

There is some black goo on the bottom of the chassis (vibration control?) and the caps scrape it off. The board is upside down in the chassis as you can see from the location of the jacks.

How's it sound?

Pretty damn good though I haven't compared it much against the APL in DAC mode as it's been sitting in my computer rig. I did get a Zero dac this week and it only took about 30 minutes to hear just how inferior the Zero is. Boomy bass, bright and nasty upper midrange, much less resolution and clarity and the soundstage just vanished.

The DAC1 also isn't ruthlessly revealing so MP3's aren't a problem which isn't the case with the Zero.

I spy at least one OsCon, don't I?

Two OcCon's next to the input. There are further two green Wima caps on the bottom and some resistors.

What is this thing? Where's the DAC? Or is it the dip-8 (TDA1543/1545?). Passive I/V with a couple of Rikens is it? And are those two transformers behind the red BGs for the output stage?

It's a single TDA1543 dac chip with a CS8416 on the input, capacitor coupled output (bipolar Blackgates) with Riken resistors to ground.

The transformers are all part of the PSU but this thing is so minimalistic that it doesn't have a fuse or any switches.