Source recommendations

barmar46

I'm new to head case so take it easy on me folks. I've read a bunch of posts and it seems like a great place to call home! I think I'm going to buy the TTVKJ/Millet 307A tomorrow having never heard it but having done my homework and knowing that I have Todd's permission to take a 30 day trial and his guarantee that there's no chance I'll return it. I'm looking for something full, involving, resolving well so many of the things said already in this thread. I primarily listen to accousitc music emphasizing voice and guitar (Did someone mention Sam Phillips and "Fan Dance?" That's a perfect example!) and jazz, and I want to experience all the life in the music as well as hear it. I don't do well with harsh or brittle high end or thumbing and muddy base. The best I've done so far is my balanced K701s recabled by Alex at APS but through my Headroom bal amp/dac it still sounds somewhat sterile and thin. I thought about going for the BHSE and the Omega MKII but am afraid of the dark side and besides I really like the versatility of the 307A dynamic can possibilities. I've never had a tube amp before and I also like leaning analog particularly in Pete's handmade direction also knowing I can count on reasonable timelines to get my new amp or to rely on it being repaired. So am I making a compeling case to going all out tomorrow or...am I missing something?

And...I'm not really clear on sources. Todd recommends the Meridian G08 which comes up on Audiogon in the $2000+ range often enough. But one of my more reliable sources (on another heaphone "cable network") adviced me against it saying there have been mechanical problems and suggested "if I go Meridian at all I should look at the more reliable 508.24. I see that the well respected Cambridge 840c has been matched with the 307A and I didn't hear any complaints (Not to mention it's well over a $1000 cheaper than G08 and I'm really maxed out as it is!). So...what do you all recommend?

I see this as my Grande Bouffe, my Endrig, my Super Bowl of Sound...well you get the picture. I want to do this once and I want to do it right. It's almost 10x more than I've ever spent at anytime before on gear. But, do to a one time motherload bonnanza and my wife feeling sorry for me because I've been so whiny and pathetic, I have this opportunity now and forever hold my peas.

So please help me out. Spill the beans. Tell me what you think...

But don't hurt me. I'm very fragile these days. Just ask my wife!

(I promise not to be so verbose in the future but I am so excited about the 307A and very nervous about taking the plunge.)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have bal 650s bal by James at SA Equinox. But they sound cloudy to me almost like there's a shadow on the vocals. And these are balanced 650s so there's not supposed to be a veil, is there?

they will not sound that way once you hook them to the 307a

I also have bal 650s bal by James at SA Equinox. But they sound cloudy to me almost like there's a shadow on the vocals. And these are balanced 650s so there's not supposed to be a veil, is there?

You probably just don't like the HD650. I'm not a fan either.

I am using the HR bal desktop w/home module. (Hi Nate!) I don't know if it's a veil, cloud, or what? But it's an opaque(sp) extaneous overlay that get's in the way. It is not there w/the 701 vocal presentation and for that reason I actually put the 650s away altogether. But still with either the overall presentation has a kind of thiness and sterility. I think I'm hearing with greater fluency as I've gone on to get better gear and listen more carefully and fully. Maybe I'm going overboard with what I'm expecting from Pete's amp but I have lead a "musical life" all my life and it's worth it to me at this point it my life(62) to try to get the most I can. That's also why I want to get the best synergy with the source. But not spend more money than need be. (It's not really a motherload and I too live in the real world and like Nate I am a communist!)

Whoa! Barry! It seem like yesterday that we discussed using an ipod or Cambridge 540c as a source for the balanced desktop. Damn! That's what I call jumping in at the OK corral. I can't give any opinion on the millet as I haven't heard it. Good luck though. I do can attest to Todd's good customer service though!

I'm new to head case so take it easy on me folks. I've read a bunch of posts and it seems like a great place to call home! I think I'm going to buy the TTVKJ/Millet 307A tomorrow having never heard it but having done my homework and knowing that I have Todd's permission to take a 30 day trial and his guarantee that there's no chance I'll return it. I'm looking for something full, involving, resolving well so many of the things said already in this thread. I primarily listen to accousitc music emphasizing voice and guitar (Did someone mention Sam Phillips and "Fan Dance?" That's a perfect example!) and jazz, and I want to experience all the life in the music as well as hear it. I don't do well with harsh or brittle high end or thumbing and muddy base. The best I've done so far is my balanced K701s recabled by Alex at APS but through my Headroom bal amp/dac it still sounds somewhat sterile and thin. I thought about going for the BHSE and the Omega MKII but am afraid of the dark side and besides I really like the versatility of the 307A dynamic can possibilities. I've never had a tube amp before and I also like leaning analog particularly in Pete's handmade direction also knowing I can count on reasonable timelines to get my new amp or to rely on it being repaired. So am I making a compeling case to going all out tomorrow or...am I missing something?

And...I'm not really clear on sources. Todd recommends the Meridian G08 which comes up on Audiogon in the $2000+ range often enough. But one of my more reliable sources (on another heaphone "cable network") adviced me against it saying there have been mechanical problems and suggested "if I go Meridian at all I should look at the more reliable 508.24. I see that the well respected Cambridge 840c has been matched with the 307A and I didn't hear any complaints (Not to mention it's well over a $1000 cheaper than G08 and I'm really maxed out as it is!). So...what do you all recommend?

I see this as my Grande Bouffe, my Endrig, my Super Bowl of Sound...well you get the picture. I want to do this once and I want to do it right. It's almost 10x more than I've ever spent at anytime before on gear. But, do to a one time motherload bonnanza and my wife feeling sorry for me because I've been so whiny and pathetic, I have this opportunity now and forever hold my peas.

So please help me out. Spill the beans. Tell me what you think...

But don't hurt me. I'm very fragile these days. Just ask my wife!

(I promise not to be so verbose in the future but I am so excited about the 307A and very nervous about taking the plunge.)

4n606.jpg

I see that 4n6 has a prayer rug before the altar of equipment just like Reks. :)

Yes. I pray that I don't have to retube those amps anytime soon!

But it's replaced with the Cary SLP-05 in that spot isn't it? =]

Yes, the B-52 is out of the system and replaced by the Cary SLP-05. So the system is much more worthy of worship. Say, by did I just break one of the 10 Commandments?!? ;)

I'm new to head case so take it easy on me folks.

No worries! Welcome to Head Case! Yes, the 307A is fantastic and you will not regret getting one should you decide to. As far as a source goes, you already know that the Cambridge 840C is pretty darn unbeatable at the price. If you want to up the ante a little, I also have heard the Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5SE to very good effect, of which there are three on Audiogon (one a smokin' deal at $2695!). I will also pimp the Audio Research Reference CD7 as a fantastic CDP, but at $9000 retail that may be stretching the budget a little. I have not heard the other CD players mentioned already so I can't comment on the rest. Good luck!

Let me first start off by saying thank you to 4n6 for having me over to listen to some sweet gears. Also, thanks for the great beer to partake in.

Riceboy, you are very welcome. I am glad that you were able to come over. Looking forward to the next beer drinking excuse, err...meet, in the future!;D

One note of importance to clear the air, please. I have no real idea, yet alone the expertise to know what accounts for my sense of dissatisfaction with the overall sound of my rig. I have enjoyed my Headroom amp/dac from the beginning and I have found the people from Tyll on down to be the best in the business. They are my dear friends. In no way did I mean to state or imply that there was anything wrong with the balanced/amp dac. In my exhuberance to sound like a "player" or maybe justify to you or myself buying the "Monster" if I in any way sounded disparaging of the fine Headroom product please take it as my ignorance and not any deficit on their part.

Actually I talked to Jorge today and he was singing the praises of Pete all day long. I do feel better now having clarified my feelings. Thanks for the support. If this is the manner in which the head_case community tends to interact, well I'm going to be hanging around here alot.

Well it's been great meeting you all. I'm going to bed now. It's 12:41 a.m. here in Starkville, Mississippi. I'm be dreaming of a "Monster" and a "Wolf." You know about the Monster and the Wolf is Howlin' Wolf and he was born in West Point, MS just about few miles from here. There's a big Blues festival in his name every year and it's coming up August 29th. Come on down or up from where ever you are. It's spossed to be great! Good night and thanks for the welcome and the help!

Well it's been great meeting you all. I'm going to bed now. It's 12:41 a.m. here in Starkville, Mississippi. I'm be dreaming of a "Monster" and a "Wolf." You know about the Monster and the Wolf is Howlin' Wolf and he was born in West Point, MS just about few miles from here. There's a big Blues festival in his name every year and it's coming up August 29th. Come on down or up from where ever you are. It's spossed to be great! Good night and thanks for the welcome and the help!

Welcome to HeadCase barmar, and feel free to hang around. Well, did you order the 307A yet? I have one in my main rig right now but I don't own it at the moment. 8) You will love it and working with Todd is great as well. I have balanced K701s also, and I am guessing you will love them on the the TTVJ/Millett Monster. I will add my 2 cents that you should listen to the Equinox 650s with fresh ears and an open mind because they sound clear and amazing on the 307A. One more tip, take off the earpads, remove the foam disc sitting between you and the drivers and put the pads back on for another listen. If you like the improvement, then take off the pads again, put in a piece of nylon (cut up stockings is what I used) or speaker cloth if you have it and put the pads back on. Simple, cheap and effective tweak, imho.

Tell us when you order the Monster and don't be shy with the pics when it arrives! :prettyprincess:

Hi Voltron, thanks for the encouragement. I talked to Todd today and I'm still exploring sources. Todd's fav is the Meridian G08.2 but I have some no go advice re: price and performance. I mentioned the Cambridge 840c and he felt the Meridian far over matched it. I told him I would post and ask for more specifics on some of the dissatisfaction w/Meridian so he could get a clearer picture of what some of the concerns are. I also want to be clearer myself and refine my search for a good source match in both price and performance with Pete's amp. All opinions welcome.

Is there an audio store near you? If anything, you should buy the amp and then bring it to the store and try different sources for yourself. Or you can "loan" the Meridian and another high end source from the store and take it home. You'll usually spend about $100 if you decide not to buy the source.

Unfortunately I live in Starville, MS when the most "audiophillic" store I've seen is called Wallmart. There's not even a place in Jackson the closest "big city nearby. But I could buy the Meridian from Todd and he would give me 30 on a return policy. Or I wonder if Audio Advisor does the same? I could start w/the Cambridge 840c and if I satisfied stop there. 'Course who am I kidding I'd always wonder if the Meridian would have sounded better.