Jethro Tull Aqualung, quick listening samples

deepak

Preferred version is...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred version is...

Just curious which version do you prefer. I've put in the download two versions of the title track 'Aqualung' by Jethro Tull, both files in lossless format. Please vote for which one you think sounds better after you've heard them. I'll reveal which version is which after enough people have listened :)

Here is the download:

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

How do you like the Stax SR-001?

i like them quite a bit. clean and clear sound. bass is a bit light, but good enough for me as i don't care too much for pounding bass. problem is i'm burning through batteries just using this thing. can i use any ac adapter or do i need to buy a special one? anyone?

i like them quite a bit. clean and clear sound. bass is a bit light, but good enough for me as i don't care too much for pounding bass. problem is i'm burning through batteries just using this thing. can i use any ac adapter or do i need to buy a special one? anyone?

Don't they come with an AC adapter?

i'm not getting distortion, plays back just fine. definitely nasty looking, though.

Audacity is screwing it up. Look at the file length in your first screenshot.

This is what the WAVE file looks like: (properly rendered)

2222qx9.png

Sample 1 doesn't sound anything like yours or my Audacity FLAC images.

weird. it plays back just fine for me, really.

that looks a lot better, but it sounds dynamically challenged compared to sample 2. big difference to my ears.

I was getting distortion because I had foobar paused. It's working now :P

Anyway there wasn't any compression used in the first file. Analog or digital.

unbiased? i didn't look at audacity until after i listened, and audacity fucked it up! i mainly looked just because i was absolutely sure that 2 was the DCC, after listening.

I didn't mean you posted a biased result. I mean people can just look at our screengrabs at see which is the DCC.

The first sample is a Chrysalis VK41044 USA first pressing that a lot of people prefer to the DCC. It's definitely a hell of a lot cheaper for people that don't want to pay for the DCC.

well, in my experience, the used places just don't know what they are (i've never seen them with the sleeve, so that might have something to do with it). i've never seen MFSLs go for cheap, though.

I've got lucky a couple of times. But more and more these places know that gold disc = money.

But this disc sells for $150+ consistently so I don't feel bad.

I should listen to this tonight.

I was looking for the DCC a while back (maybe a year ago?) on ebay. New, sealed copies were + $400 :mad:

I've got a digital version now, though :)

I should post a comparison of the DCC and a vinyl transfer I had done. Remind me to do so if I dont post it tonight.

**edit: Provided I have it on the hard drives it is on currently at my house.

Well this may a bit late but I will post my impressions from earlier today anyway. I did not read the posts in this thread until after I listened to both tracks a couple of times. For me, both tracks seemed a little compressed, number one more so. Track number two seemed to have a wider soundstage with a bit more depth. I detected a faint reverb on track two, perhaps some added distortion or transient artifacts, I am not sure. They were very close but I give the edge to track number two. FWIW, I used my office tripath chip amp and a modest 1453 chip NOS dac.