Sony DAS-R1

spritzer

As promised here are some pics of the first reference level CDP Sony ever made, well one half of it. Released in 1987 it's built to a standard Sony can only dream off today with solid copper panels and huge transformers for it's meager 25w draw.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3016&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3021&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3026&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3031&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3036&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3041&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3046&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3051&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3056&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3061&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=de69b1d315ef7c2b7b0b73abe13e01de

well, is it good?

Makes the Meridian G08 sound like the POS it really is and stands up to expensive contemporary gear. It does lack the HF sparkle of newer units but after listening to it for months on end I don't know where all this digitalis crap came from. It simply sounds sublime, musical and slightly dark, with great bass detail and slam. It should be even better with the CDP-R1 as it's clock linked. :kitty:

that's some primo stuff man... :kitty:

The only thing I'd like to change are the connectors, BNC for the digital in and silver WBT's for output with upgraded wiring and a built in 230->100v transformer. The digital input board is in a fully shielded cage under the DAC/output board and it's littered with chips. Btw. If you want the service manual with full schematics just let me know.

That is freaking impressive... even for a layman like myself.

Truly masssive at more then 20kg as well. Check out the solid copper back panel... ;D

how does it compare to the APL?

It's not in the same league... not even close. It lacks the organic flow and amazing detail retrieval of the APL unit and same goes for bass and treble extension. Considering the price difference I don't mind and a better comparison would be between the DAS-R1 and the AudioZone NOS DAC I have in my computer rig. I don't have a good transport so that comparison will have to wait for a better time.

I like the cute little crowns and blue cylinders with the cute stripes on them :prettyprincess:

Rikens rule but I wish that there were two crowns on those chips... :P

The TDA shot is yummy. Nice and in focus too :)

Thanks, these old, cheap Canon's are pretty good and this one is heavy enough to be stable in my hands. I'm way too lazy to use a tripod...

I could take in some of that. Likely lots of abandoned units out there somewhere...

none with double crowns. I compiled a list of units that are known to ship with these oddities and none can be had for less than a few grand. My strategy is to find ungraded chips that test well, or ungraded chips with the same batch numbers as those that S2 chips came from. The latter strategy is playing out well for me, as I don't have the equipment to pursue the former. Also, I have around 50 TDA1543/TDA1543A and have been just randomly plugging them in and listening and there are some that sound better than others. Remember, these chips were never graded at all.

none with double crowns. I compiled a list of units that are known to ship with these oddities and none can be had for less than a few grand. My strategy is to find ungraded chips that test well, or ungraded chips with the same batch numbers as those that S2 chips came from. The latter strategy is playing out well for me, as I don't have the equipment to pursue the former. Also, I have around 50 TDA1543/TDA1543A and have been just randomly plugging them in and listening and there are some that sound better than others. Remember, these chips were never graded at all.

The Marantz CD-7 is on my hitlist... :P

You can remove the single crowns and send them to me. That will free you up to track down a pair of double crowns :prettyprincess:

I think I'll stick with my inferior chips for now... ;)

Yeah I would love a Marantz CD-7. I looked really hard for awhile to no avail :/

I have like 11-13 I don't even remember how many supposedly genuine double crown chips sitting around (All the numbers check out) with asebastian that are doing nothing but waiting for a dac to be made with them someday! Paid like ~100 each for them :/

Yeah I would love a Marantz CD-7. I looked really hard for awhile to no avail :/

I have like 11-13 I don't even remember how many supposedly genuine double crown chips sitting around (All the numbers check out) with asebastian that are doing nothing but waiting for a dac to be made with them someday! Paid like ~100 each for them :/

$100 each was going rate about 3-4 years ago

Ouch!!! That's a lot for some chips.

Btw. Have you heard anything from Alex about your player?

Did the original Naim CDS use S1 chips?

yes it did. Here are all the players I know of with S1 chips:

Arcam Delta 70.2

Creek CD60

Grundig CD9009 (dual S1)

Luxman D-500X II

Marantz CD80

Marantz CD85

Marantz CD880J

Marantz CD94 mk2

Marantz CD99SE (dual S1)

Marantz CDA94