What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmers' market in the Tokai forest this morning. Two enterprising baboons raided the bakery stall, providing much entertainment to everyone but the baker.

Bought wine and cheese and a leg of Karoo lamb and some firewood. Evening in tonight, I think.

Now to be truly hardcore you can drink copious amounts of expensive scotch while playing your violin and watching kendo vids.

I used to get reasonably inebriated before settling in for a 2-3 hour practice session on saxophone. I found it helped during the boring and pedantic areas of "getting back into playing shape" practicing. Though our young friend is far beyond that level, so who knows, crappy beer may suffice.

FWIW, I am a more technically proficient player when inebriated than when sober these days...

**BRENT**

Cooked some shrimp, drank some beer, and cleaned the house in anticipation of my friend Dave and his family coming over for dinner in a couple hrs. Picked up some fresh silver king corn (fresh local sweet corn) and cauliflower at the farmers market. Also picked up a drum kit for my 8 yr old.

I used to get reasonably inebriated before settling in for a 2-3 hour practice session on saxophone. I found it helped during the boring and pedantic areas of "getting back into playing shape" practicing. Though our young friend is far beyond that level, so who knows, crappy beer may suffice.

FWIW, I am a more technically proficient player when inebriated than when sober these days...

**BRENT**

I don't think there is a type of practice other than boring and pedantic. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if it is anything else, you're doing it wrong. And as to your last statement, I'm pretty sure it works that way with most if not all jazz players.

Golf cart delivered at 8:00 a.m. sharp as promised. Spent the day with my oldest grandson. He rode his bmx bike and I rode my cyclocross bike. Good times. Surprise visit from my oldest nephew. Then my oldest daughter and family showed to visit, eat and take her son back home. Relaxing with no plans tonight. Didn't really do anything but overall a good week away from work. Will return home tomorrow and then back to work on Monday.

I don't think there is a type of practice other than boring and pedantic. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if it is anything else, you're doing it wrong. And as to your last statement, I'm pretty sure it works that way with most if not all jazz players.

Oh... I was doing it wrong, but at least I was doing it. Classically trained saxophonist, btw. I know that's kind of a new concept, (what, about 80 years old?), but it's kinda cool being 4th Gen (Marcel) Mule. Not that I'm any good, but whatever.

**BRENT**

80 years is definitely new.:P I don't think there's enough music out there for classical saxophonists. I mean, it's not like you can find a full time orchestra job as one. I don't even think there is a purely classical program for saxophonists at my school. My understanding is that most saxophonists have to start off being at least somewhat classically trained to develop proper embouchure and technique and stuff.