What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelly, do you know what size you wear in the Vibrams. I've been told by a couple folks to order one size up for the KSOs. I'm thinking of getting a pair as well. I've been wearing my classics and/or performa janes almost every day at least part of the day.

And, yeah, I have the same shopping for clothing experience pretty much every time. :(

Unfortunately, no. I am going to try another shoe store tomorrow. Maybe I will have better luck.

Went to a Bar-Mitzvah today. Saw this kid do so well, give a speech relating his Torah reading to a modern "model" of donating time to help others, and discuss how he's done things like this for four years. Made me think there's hope for this world....

The post-service party was at the MIT Club in Cambridge, MA. Overlooked the Charles River and the Boston skyline. Nice place, nice weather, nice time. Parking was the only b*tch of the day.

Worked most of the day and also played with the iPad. Then out to dinner with Mrs. Money and the Little Monkey. He's growing up. It's exhilarating, rewarding, and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Monkey, I'm wondering about your typo here..........

got my ass beat down in a race, which I think will likely be my one of my last ones of this year. My coach keeps spouting positive "you can do it" bull shit but the fact is at least right now I'm at red line in 5th when everyone else is cruising in 3rd or 4th.

Drove home went in the hot tub with my wife. Then went to the grocery store and then had friends over for a grilled chicken dinner (I did the cooking). It was a nice evening.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself through another ass whupping tomorrow as I'm already registered for a race.

Moved around half the contents of my grandfather's workshop, then carried several pieces of furniture down to it and stacked them. I still have to move 3 large appliances (washer, dryer, stove) as well as all the furniture that's too heavy for my (nearly-septuagenarian, cancer-surviving) mother to help me with. In theory, the caretaker we use for the property is going to show up tomorrow to give me a hand. He was supposed to be here this morning to collect a Victrola I said I'd give him, but he never showed. If he's not here tomorrow, I'm going to have real problems.

Went to the community picnic for our soon to be new neighborhood... nice folks.. we're gonna like it there. Also found out that I'm going to get my grandfather's old workbench. So that's cool. Now I need to find a way to get a 3 foot high, 3 foot deep, 6 foot long built like a brick shithouse workbench from Jersey to NC. It was built by my great grandfather. I've already got his toolbox and hand made tools, so this will be a nice addition. Not only that, but I will soon have an actual place to put it.

Stephen, nice with the neighbors, but very cool on the workbench, even moreso since your great grandfather made it. My twin brother inherited my grandfather's workbench and all his tools (my grandfather was into woodworking, and building ship models from his own imagination and drawings), and he since finished a couple projects that were left undone when my grandfather died. It's special knowing its history.

That is very cool Stephen. Glad you like the new neighbors so far.

Stephen, nice with the neighbors, but very cool on the workbench, even moreso since your great grandfather made it. My twin brother inherited my grandfather's workbench and all his tools (my grandfather was into woodworking, and building ship models from his own imagination and drawings), and he since finished a couple projects that were left undone when my grandfather died. It's special knowing its history.

Thanks folks!

Yeah, I was pretty bummed when my uncle took it a few years back when we moved my grandfather out of his house. At least it stayed in the family. Life has changed for him though and now I can get it. I don't think he really used (or appreciated) it. I will use it. I've been wanting to get into more woodworking. I will soon have the space to do that... and the bench!

Went to the community picnic for our soon to be new neighborhood... nice folks.. we're gonna like it there. Also found out that I'm going to get my grandfather's old workbench. So that's cool. Now I need to find a way to get a 3 foot high, 3 foot deep, 6 foot long built like a brick shithouse workbench from Jersey to NC. It was built by my great grandfather. I've already got his toolbox and hand made tools, so this will be a nice addition. Not only that, but I will soon have an actual place to put it.

That sounds really great - good handmade workbenches are a real heirloom treasure. It is right and fitting that they should go down the generations. I've heard it said that a craftsman is only the custodian of a bench, and I hope your great grandfather's one follows that tradition through another generation at least.

i haven't done a god damned thing all weekend. i had some things planned, but they were mostly contingent on it not storming yesterday and today.

Your neck of the woods too? Been raining stair-rods here for the last two days and 10C; tomorrow supposed to be good though.

All this talk of work benches, I wish I'd taken a picture of mine before I started loading up the workshop. I might still be able to before I move the rest in tomorrow. There's not quite enough room for me to get it all in frame. ...kinda wish I'd sprung for that EF-S 10-22mm superwide zoom for APS-C cropped sensors.

Edited by Knuckledragger
I like pie. And correct lens mount names.

Went to dragonboat paddling practice this morning. That's about it. Had an early mother's day celebration today for my mother, grandmother, aunt, and sister. Four out of five mothers in my family who now live in New York. We'll be celebrating next weekend again for the one that couldn't make it.

My wife and i had brunch in the Village (:dotu:) with one of my oldest friends, his wife and three kids. Then we walked the High Line which is a very cool public promenade that used to be raised freight rail line. Got some ice cream from a truck and had some very good coffee at Chelsea Market. Now on the plane back to SF. Nice weekend.