What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just woke up after a long day yesterday. One of my oldest friends was getting married and I was naturally in charge of the cake. To cut a long story short this was a 5 tier monster covered with marzipan, ganash and decorated with fresh berries to feed 150 people. At roughly 3 PM I was going to drive it to the other end of Reykjavik where the reception would be so that I could be ready for the ceremony (on the other end of town) at half past 4. Now you should know that Icelanders don't know how to drive under usual circumstances but most just go apeshit on the cramped streets of downtown Reykjavik. Needless to say I came across one of these idiots who ran a stop sign right in front of me and I had to break hard while being greeted by the lovely sound of cake being splashed on the inside of the van. :palm:

The cake was all over the car with just a bit of cream and the bottom parts still left on the stand so completely totaled, nothing could be saved. Now this shouldn't happen under normal circumstances but we had been fighting to make the cake stable the entire morning so instead of the cream being a nice solid mass, it was fluid.

After a good 5 minutes of screaming and cursing I got back to the bakery, cleaned the stand and started on cake number two. I always anticipate the worst so I had enough materials to make a second one and we managed to pull it off in less then 4 hours. I had to go to the ceremony but I popped back after it to decorate the cake which my brother had worked on in the meantime. That one did make it to the reception and everybody was very happy with the end result. Phew to say the least...

All is well that ends well I guess and if the old Icelandic sagas are to be believed, this will reflect well on the marriage. :)

All is well that ends well I guess and if the old Icelandic sagas are to be believed, this will reflect well on the marriage. :)

I think having a close friend willing to make two cakes should bode plenty well on the marriage. Congratulations to your friend, and good work, Birgir.

i went to a restaurant that had gotten very good reviews in the local press. it was pretty mediocre.

I hate when that happens.

Watched the F1 race, mowed the ex's lawn, visited mom, cleaned and re-oiled an air filter, ate real mac & cheese and now sitting in Three Floyds drinking beer.

Just so you know, it's "ganache" in English (and French).

Thanks for that. My German is much better then my French... :P

Well done, Birgir. Having one beautiful cake ready to go is great. But being able and prepared to go with Plan B with only hours to spare is the sign of a true pro.

I even had a plan C ready if the second one would fail, a massive chocolate cake, covered with more chocolate and lots of berries.

Did you tell the bride and groom about the adventure?:)

Yup, but only after the second cake was safe and sound in the cooler where the reception was held. Later on I stood up on the stage in front of 150 people and told them the whole story. :)

Filed a complaint against a state licensed pet shop with the Colorado pet animal care facilities program. It is on.

Yeah, fuck em. I was following your thread intently but didn't want to post for whatever reason. I was hoping to get in a "congrats" when everything worked out for ya. Well, good luck with everything.

It's no use, 90% of people don't know what they are doing out on the streets. Roundabouts are the worst even if they have only two lanes max. :palm:

How are roundabouts over there? Common? I know Europeans love em. In the States, they're fairly rare. I personally hate them, but they are definitely much safer than stop signs with regards to fatal accidents.