What does Team Minimal mean?

boomana

Okay, this thread is only half serious as the topic is stupid, but I'm also curious what others think. jp11801 and I were talking last night about my recent gear purging, and I told him I was going Team Minimal. In my opinion, having one main dynamic headphone, one main electostatic headphone, and one main portable headphone with accompanying rigs qualifies me. He claims that's too many, and my choices in each category eliminate me entirely. He also suggested we open up our disagreement to the peanut gallery (I guess that's you), so here it is.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this thread is only half serious as the topic is stupid, but I'm also curious what others think. jp11801 and I were talking last night about my recent gear purging, and I told him I was going Team Minimal. In my opinion, having one main dynamic headphone, one main electostatic headphone, and one main portable headphone with accompanying rigs qualifies me. He claims that's too many, and my choices in each category eliminate me entirely. He also suggested we open up our disagreement to the peanut gallery (I guess that's you), so here it is.

I think I qualified for most of last year, but recently I blew that :).

So what was jp#'s criterion for the Team Minimal? One pair of headphones?

Of course, if having three rigs (stat, dynamic, portable) disqualifies you, I wouldn't make the Team either even after I follow through with my plan as I'll end up with three rigs (speakers, main headphone, portable).

So what was jp#'s criterion for the Team Minimal? One pair of headphones?

I rarely understand his criteria for anything. For example, his definition for "no new gear in 2008" somehow included at least three new turn tables, one or two dacs, new speakers, and a few headphones that I know about.

I suppose one headphone would qualify, but his nonsensical point was that the type of gear gets weighed in. He said, for example, that a Grado 125 rig would count, but an R10 rig disqualifies a person from the team, as there is nothing minimal about it, in his opinion.

Btw, I agree that an additional speaker rig doesn't eliminate you: one main dynamic, one main stat, one main portable, one main speaker rig. Nice, clean and minimal.

Does that allow me into Team Minimal? ;)
Yes.

MHO -- why does one need both dynamic and electrostatic? Team minimal would mean, to me, having one rig, more or less. Maybe one rig (one work rig and one home rig for those of us who don't do transportable) and one portable rig.

I don't know about the type of gear criteria -- when canman sold everything for his K1000 and Pass Labs F3 was it? -- I think he qualified.

If all I had was my Kenwood Micro-System and a pair of Audio-Technica A100Ti's when I had those, I think that would have qualified.

MHO -- why does one need both dynamic and electrostatic?

Because they are different and, therefore, they don't count the same as having two in the same category. Sure, they're both headphones, but that's irrelevant. For example, a really cute pair of black flats and a really cute pair of black slingbacks have the same purpose, but because they're completely different, it's unreasonable to expect someone to choose between the two, unless traveling, that that would mean buying a new pair anyway.

"Team Minimal" describes the contents of one's wallet (or bank account) after ordering a UE-11, a KGBHse with RK50 and a pair of good stats to do the BH justice.

Another good point in my favor.

From where I sit I'm not sure there's a person on this site that qualifies as a minimalist. My definition would require one, very small rig that you used everywhere and cost would certainly be a factor. But that's ju me... :)

Bah, you've been talking to John, or maybe John's been talking to you.

Because they are different and, therefore, they don't count the same as having two in the same category. Sure, they're both headphones, but that's irrelevant. For example, a really cute pair of black flats and a really cute pair of black slingbacks have the same purpose, but because they're completely different, it's unreasonable to expect someone to choose between the two, unless traveling, that that would mean buying a new pair anyway.

<snip>

I don't think your analogy really fits, and don't get me wrong, I wish you the best in your CanJam warped me quest.

A more fitting analogy: Suppose I throw together two really large and expensive speaker rigs, claiming one is my classical rig and the other is my rock rig...

but I'm still a minimalist :doghuh:

In the analogy of shoes, the two serve different functions (ie it would be unreasonable to suggest only having one pair of winter boots if you live somewhere which has four seasons). With a dynamic and electrostatic system their purpose is still to make music.

A completely minimalistic rig to me would be something that you use all the time for listening to music. A transportable system that you can use all the time would probably be the ideal scenario. I like to think I'm building towards a minimalistic rig since I only listen to music at home and I'll only have one headphone.

I like to think having one headphone and one speaker system isn't cheating, but it probably is :angel:

That brings up another question...does having a quarter million dollar speaker system qualify as minimalistic? No headphone system, no other speakers...nothing else to listen to music on :popcorn:

Looking at a possible definition of minimal:

relating to or being a minimum : constituting the least possible with respect to size, number, degree, or certain stated conditions

So with that in mind Team Minimal would be concerned with constructing a rig with some or all of these factors in mind:

1) Fewest number of components

2) Lowest cost

3) Least complexity of components/system

Finding a rig that works across a wide variety of conditions (stationary home rig, portable rig...etc) could qualify, but that rig may manifest more complex attributes leading to non-minimal status. Of course it would depend ultimately on the stated rules for Team Minimal, which in keeping with the overall ideology of said team, would be sparse.

So with that in mind I think Team Minimal would be after a system with the least complexity to accomplish their goal: high-end audio reproduction using the least amount of components.

While cost could be a possible determining factor, I don't think it is a necessary condition for entry into Team Minimal. If the goal is high-end audio reproduction, then the amount of money spent to achieve that goal via a headphone system is more a function of the buyer's ability to pay for that system rather than the lack of complexity of the system and the level of quality that member wishes to experience via their rig.

So with that in mind here are some possible examples of rig owned by members of Team minimal:

Source----->Amp----->Transducers

Source/Amp combo----->Transducers

Computer----->Transducers

Amp and headphones are fairly well defined categories, so I won't elaborate on them, but source presents a problem. What configurations can be considered minimal?

The easiest two are CD player and Computer; Computer being the most minimal since it includes a transport, DAC and the medium being played.

A CD player with a built in DAC is certainly more minimal than a two box transport/DAC solution, so I would suggest that separate transport/DAC options are out for Team Minimal. There are plenty of high-end sources that include a respectable internal DAC. Some may argue that it is necessary to purchase a separate transport/DAC combo in order to achieve the highest level of sound reproduction via a minimal amount of components. Their standards are high enough to justify that and still remain in Team Minimal since a one-box solution that meets their criteria for high-end reproduction is not available. I would posit that entry into Team Minimal does mean that some sacrifices must be made in order to abide by the Team Minimal philosophy. So two box transport/DAC combos are out.

Turntable sources would require a turntable and a phono preamp. Since part of the goal is to achieve high-end sound and high-end turntables with built in preamps are scarce if not non-existent, I think it's safe to include a pre-amp with the turntable and still belong to Team Minimal. However, vinyl fans are on the cusp here due to the copious complimentary gear that can accompany a high-end turntable setup. Inclusion of record cleaners, brushes, mats, weights, clamps and the like might kick a vinyl enthusiast out of Team Minimal. This is a dodgy area since one could argue that all of that gear is necessary to achieve a truly high-end sound from the minimal rig. Due to the sparse nature of Team Minimal's rules this issue has not been pursued to the fullest as such a debate would fracture the very fabric of the group's identity.

Clearly a digital rig is preferred for entry to Team Minimal.

Multiple rigs:

Can you have a work rig and a home rig and still be included in Team Minimal?

Tough question. My gut reaction is no. If you wish to have high-end audio in multiple locations then you need to plan for that when contructing your rig. A minimal transportable or portable rig would obviously be the most minimal for your situation. However, if your commute/working/living conditions do not allow you to transport one rig from home to work, then two rigs, one at each location, might be allowed. I suggest a clause that somehow limits one of the two rigs or allows shared component(s) between the two rig.

Three rigs is right out.

I think you still qualify: one main dynamic, one main stat, and one main portable....that is unless you bought something new :)

I don't think 3 headphone rigs qualify regardless, but that's definitely not all I have at the moment. I have 5 pairs of IEMs, 3 ipods, the grados, the koss, the speaker setup, and the ksc75s. Then there's the denon, the cambridge, and the apogee as sources, etc. I definitely went off the deep end at some point, and I did it while trying to reduce.

Three rigs is right out.

:(

Team Almost Minimal :prettyprincess:

I have 5 pairs of IEMs, 3 ipods, the grados, the koss, the speaker setup, and the ksc75s. Then there's the denon, the cambridge, and the apogee as sources, etc. I definitely went off the deep end at some point, and I did it while trying to reduce.

Definitely not Team Minimal or Almost Minimal or Close to Almost Minimal. 5 iems? Sell them all for UE11s!

btw, I can't believe no bites on my Etys. I remember threads about why can't you get the blue and red ones not that long ago.

IM616s (airplane phones)

SuperFi 3s (no idea, got them in trade for a shuffle, hate them)

3 pairs of im716s (wife's, 2 are still new in package, as backup) :)

I couldn't sell all 5 to get SuperFreqs, let alone UE11s :)

:(

Team Almost Minimal :prettyprincess:

Definitely not Team Minimal or Almost Minimal or Close to Almost Minimal. 5 iems? Sell them all for UE11s!

btw, I can't believe no bites on my Etys. I remember threads about why can't you get the blue and red ones not that long ago.