The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

That's the problem. We don't really know much about anything other than the T50RP because no one has bought a T20RPMkII and bothered to post about it that I know of and only Dusty has bought a T40RPMkII, and has given fairly limited impressions.

They all supposedly use the same drivers but who knows what effects the different housings may have on sound. I'm really curious as to how the T40RPMkII sounds since I love my first gen T40.

That sounds great. I'm in the midst of final tweakings on the T50RP, myself, and will post my final mod scheme here.

Edit: Plugging the front ports has a huge effect, for some reason I still don't understand. I think it increases bass and impact but also causes some harshness and a non-smooth sound. I much prefer the smoother sound of un-plugged since I am satisfied with not much bass and would much rather take smoothness and natural sound.

That sounds great. I'm in the midst of final tweakings on the T50RP, myself, and will post my final mod scheme here.

Edit: Plugging the front ports has a huge effect, for some reason I still don't understand. I think it increases bass and impact but also causes some harshness and a non-smooth sound. I much prefer the smoother sound of un-plugged since I am satisfied with not much bass and would much rather take smoothness and natural sound.

You can try a small reflex dot on the front of the drive to calm the harshness, that's what I did.

I am just not feeling all this T50RP love .... yet.

Well I should have known better than to post early impressions. I have modded these heavily and damped them as modding them pushed up the mids and they needed to be taught who is really in control - final say is that I am liking these very much. I find them very similar to the best SFI's and that IMO, is fantastic. Well worth the effort.

I approached these much as I did the T20V2 - mechanically damp the cups, add internal damping to absorb the backwave and a thin layer of additional damping on the driver itself.

..dB

That sounds exactly like what I did, except I keep trying to get more treble out of it for some strange reason so I resorted to damping a bunch and a huge reflex dot and it's still not good. I might just be going insane, though.

That's very strange, I used a small reflex dot covering the middle hole and the treble is just sweet on mine. Though, my mods are rather extreme in other areas.

Hm, I know that absorbing backwave absorbs treble so it doesn't come bouncing back all messy, so that would just decrease (bad) treble. I'm not sure what else I can try. I think I'll try another layer of felt, I guess... for a total of three... I feel like if I make the reflex dot any bigger it will just sound like a huge jumbled mess.

I've also decided that I must keep the front port unplugged. I can't stand the congested sound of the plugged port and putting a reflex dot in front just decreases the treble and makes it more congested. :(

Very odd. I'm not sure which way to go from there. It shouldn't need a huge reflex dot to bring the treble out to play, nor a ton of damping. My woodies have bigger cup volume and only two thin sheets of semi-dense felt in them, nothing on the driver except the standard cloth it comes with and the dot over that.

Good to hear you're liking them.

The 'reflex dot' should fix that right up if you haven't done it already.

This shows a good size dot to try.

%7Boption%7D

Thanks for the pic, I've been studying them to get ideas so far. Its been a lot easier after seeing some of the mods applied then only reading about them for me.