Office speakers

grenert

There seem to be quite a few speaker folk here, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I'm setting up an office system (pretty big office, but I don't listen very loud) and I would like to hear any suggestions you have. In another office I have some older Paradigm Atoms (I think V3) and a powered Paradigm subwoofer. It's nice, but I think it lacks a little treble and spaciousness. I don't want to get another subwoofer, so I'm looking for a set of monitors only. The bass response is less important to me than the treble and dispersion of sound. Something that doesn't require speaker stands would be preferable.

The rest of the system is not definite yet, but I think I'll go with an Arcam CD73T CD player, Sony ST-730ES tuner, and an old Proton integrated amp (D540). Speaker budget is about $500.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.head-case.org/speakers/cheap_active_speaker_recommendations-t3574.0.html

http://www.head-case.org/speakers/powered_speakers_or_keep_my_amp-t3309.0.html

http://www.head-case.org/speakers/computer_speakers-t2374.0.html

My personal suggestion: Quad 11L actives, then skip the integrated, and think about getting a source that has variable out, like the Cambridge Audio 840...c? I forget.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Since I'll have to switch multiple sources (at least the tuner and CD player, maybe a computer DAC source one day), I'll need at least a preamp (might as well get an integrated). So, active speakers would be somewhat superfluous. Plus, wouldn't I get a better speaker for the money if I'm not paying for amplification that I don't need?

I see that Quad makes a passive 11L2. Does anyone know if it sounds similar to the active version?

There's an online dealer who has open-box KEFs for only $350 so that may be enough incentive for me to take the plunge :)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Since I'll have to switch multiple sources (at least the tuner and CD player, maybe a computer DAC source one day), I'll need at least a preamp (might as well get an integrated). So, active speakers would be somewhat superfluous. Plus, wouldn't I get a better speaker for the money if I'm not paying for amplification that I don't need?
I don't understand your leap from "I'll need at least a preamp" to "might as well get an integrated". Other than that I agree with everything. Yes, it would be superfluous to get actives if you're getting an amp, but I don't see why you need to get an amp. A preamp will do just fine. That said, if you're bent on gettting an amp & passive speakers, then by all means, get an amp & passive speakers. I was just offering an alternative that I thought would provide good value.
I see that Quad makes a passive 11L2. Does anyone know if it sounds similar to the active version?
I think you should buy them and tell us if they're any good. >:D There are several Quad L-series speakers owners on this forum, both active and passive, and I think all of us are happy with them (with the possible exception of the guy who sold his, and I think he was happy with his, he just upgraded to something a lot better).