Advice from all the DC/MD area folks

humanflyz

So looks like I will be working in DC next year, and now I have to start thinking about where to live.

I prefer to be in DC, where there is easy access to the metro because I won't have a car, and my work places is near the Hill.

Basically I am wondering if any of the DC/MD area folks can give me some advice, like where NOT to live if I don't want to be shot and so forth.

Thanks.

There are a lot of variables involved in advice about where to live in DC...I like being close-ish to dc so I'm 80 miles away, but my sister lives in alexandria. Maryland suburbs are generally cheaper than VA suburbs, but MD taxes are higher. Adams Morgan is supposed to be a fun area to live. Anacostia is where 80% of dc's murders traditionally take place, but it's supposed to be getting better, now that they put the baseball stadium there.

Despite the sniper shootings a few years ago, Silver Spring is not too bad, and is where I'm at. It has suburban parts and more urban type parts, and you can get into DC via the red line on the metro. Pretty easy metro ride.

My wife grew up in Silver Spring. I would not think Mike would want to live out there as a fresh college grad. What parts of DC itself are habitable?

for reference

DC proper -- Northwest, and not much else

I'll second grawk's indirect advice: go Virginia. Vienna is expensive, but nice.

MD -- aardvark samich isn't far off, most of the metro accessible green line is pretty bad, but U of M isn't bad, as long as you're not a coed, yourself. But don't stray too far. Stay away from the Maryland branches of the blue and orange lines.

Red line -- the West leg is expensive but nice as well. The Eastern leg of the red line is a little bit less nice, but probably within reason.

What are you looking for, to buy your own place? House or condo? To rent an apartment? A room? Go joint on a house? Is this the beginning of something long term, or only temporary? If the latter, for how long? What kind of music are you going to listen to? You'll need an amp. If you save for a bit and spend just a little bit more, you can get something a lot better.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Dusty, this is not going to be a permanent relocation, as I'm only working in DC for a year or two before going to law school, so definitely renting, and definitely an apartment. I don't know anyone in DC, so I guess I'm rooming by myself.

I am not a picky person in terms of boarding, I'm more concerned about easy access to public transportation and safety than I am about "niceness."

Then yeah, stick with the Silver Spring leg of the red line, or as far out in Virginia as you can. I used to know some people who got a condo that was within walking distance of one of the stops, but the prices on those have gone through the roof, and even with the foreclosure epidemic, they're still higher than they were even as recently as 2000, 2001. (I'm talking about this from the perspective of subletting.)

PM me your snmail -- I'll send you a copy of one of the free apartment guides that gets released here once a month or so.