Chicago Area Question

Voltron

For those who lived in the Chicagoland area in the 1980s or knew the music/club scene there, I have a question. In 1982, my brother was in business school at Northwestern and my family went to visit him that summer. Using his ID, I went with him and another older brother to see a young band named Survivor, with a month or so of the Rocky 3 release date. They played at a place in DesPlaines according to my brother, and it was a redneck bar or hall with hay bales around the perimeter for seating. Does that place sound familiar to anyone?

Bonus question:  We also saw 1910 Fruitgum Company at a club in Chicago on that same trip. Anybody know where that might have been? Nobody remembers anything at all about that place other than it was a proper nightclub/music venue more in town. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for reading and any leads you might have...

I don't/didn't live there. but I can internet...

Rocky 3 - May 28, 1982

I found the following shows:

• WLS Rockfest 1982 -- October 29, 1982
    • w/Judas Priest
  • Poplar Creek Music Theater, Hoffman Estates, IL -- September 11, 1982
    • w/REO Speedwagon
  • Marriott's Great America, Gurnee, IL -- June 18, 1982
  • Oct 01, 1982 -- Survivor @ Brother Rice High School Chicago, Illinois, United States

But from your description it does not look like these are them. But I will do some additional looking until a local shows up. 

• Thanks 1

Tom insists it was in DesPlaines and it would be in the June-August time frame because my parents were teachers. I have my doubts about the year--it's possible that it was 1981 even before they wrote Eye of the Tiger.

Aye: I start to run out of data fast. 

• International Amphitheater, Chicago, IL -- November 29, 1981
  • Centennial Hall, Rock Island, IL -- October 4, 1981
  • Poplar Creek Music Theater, Hoffman Estates, IL -- August 9, 1981
  • ChicagoFest 1981 -- July 30, 1981
    • Teddy Pendergrass -  Survivor -  jan and dean  <<-- I would see that show

Checking the bar licenses for the greater Chicago area for dive bars was too large of an effort.  But from the Chamber of Commerce - they only list one - Countryside Saloon
2501 E. Ballard Road Des Plaines, IL 60016 -- but everything is fancy. So I am not sure how to search for old records. 

Hopefully the locals can help.. .--- sorry.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for trying Mikey!

I'm not good at math but there's something funny about this description of the much too fancy Countryside Grill:

Originally established in 1933

Celebrating 35 years of excellence! Countryside Saloon is one of Des Plaines’ best-kept secrets. Originally established in 1933, it was once a Prohibition-era speakeasy and gin mill. Today, it is a lively sports bar and grill that offers patrons a chance to see their favorite sports team, listen to live music on Friday’s or just enjoy a great meal while sipping on one of many craft beers or classic cocktails.

It must have been real secret for over 50 years!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, mikeymad said:

I don't/didn't live there. but I can internet...

Rocky 3 - May 28, 1982

I found the following shows:

• WLS Rockfest 1982 -- October 29, 1982
    • w/Judas Priest
  • Poplar Creek Music Theater, Hoffman Estates, IL -- September 11, 1982
    • w/REO Speedwagon
  • Marriott's Great America, Gurnee, IL -- June 18, 1982
  • Oct 01, 1982 -- Survivor @ Brother Rice High School Chicago, Illinois, United States

But from your description it does not look like these are them. But I will do some additional looking until a local shows up. 

Hah! That last one was my High School, but I was long gone by 1982!

• Haha 1