Apple Air Port Express (802.11n)

For a variety of reasons, I'd really like to pick one of these up. Actually two. Optical audio out, music streaming, wireless internet, etc. I also hope to have a mac somewhere down the road. I know these are Mac + PC compatible, but what I haven't seen answered is whether or not it can be installed from a PC, without ever going through a Mac at all. Is it PC-compatible in a PC-only scenario? I know it can be used to extend the range of a wireless network, but the wireless in my house is an ancient Linksys turd; I'd like to use the airports as THE wireless network. (and in a pc-only environment until I get my Mac)

overview_express_20080115.png

• 4 weeks later...

been using the ae since the time it was first launched, and on a pc. here's a little guide on how to install it:

1. install the software (either from the cd or from the net; if from the net, make sure to download the one for pc)

2. connect the ae on the gateway via ethernet cable

3. of course plug in the ae

4. run the program ae install manager

5. input all the information such as network name, password, etc

6. ae will reboot and off you go

in itunes, under preferences/advance click on detect airtunes. itunes will search for the ae and you can stream bit-perfect audio. just connect the ae via optical to a dac and you can enjoy music wirelessly.

We have one of these at work that we use as a secondary wireless networks, for guests/visistors. The windows airport utility works well enough but would it really be that hard for apple to make a web interface for it instead of having to using their utility.