Newbie help on wireless music media sources

recstar24

Hello crew,

I am completely ignorant to the whole laptop/computer as source thing, so could use your help. I am looking for something to play music from my laptop wirelessly through my Zana. The Zana has 3 inputs with one being sourced from the Meridian, so I figured I could use another source. I am pretty much on my laptop all the time, would be nice to source some music from here as well. Nothing too crazy or expensive, just sound decent enough, the cheaper the better, so no modwrighted or APL modded transporters and what not. Also, I could probably get some ideas for software programs that can play music where I can bypass the volume control on my laptop, that could play various files like FLAC. Thanks

I've been using Squeezebox 3 (now called just Squeezebox) for a bit now and could not be happier. It's pretty easy to setup and use. It has both analog output and digital outputs (coax and optical) so you'd be able to add a DAC in the future if so desired.

I don't know what your budget is, but it retails for $299 and shows up on A'gon often for less. Although they do tend to get snatched up pretty fast on A'gon.

Depending on your budget, you could consider the big brother Transporter. It is way more expensive, but according to reports the analog out is very good. I bought the Squeezebox and a dac (Stello DA 100) and while I'm very happy with the sound, it's one more box to feed. (I'll have to admit that I'm bit fed up of boxes that needs power.)