Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

So I read a quick blurb about Skype launching an app for the Iphone that includes the ability to wifi-call. I wonder if there's any vid support for this or if it's just audio? Either way it's an interesting development from where I sit since it allows for even partial circumvention of the primary service provider.

So I read a quick blurb about Skype launching an app for the Iphone that includes the ability to wifi-call. I wonder if there's any vid support for this or if it's just audio? Either way it's an interesting development from where I sit since it allows for even partial circumvention of the primary service provider.
IIRC, they didn't announce vid record capability with 3.0, so I would assume not.

No video, voicemail or file transfer apparently. Unfortunately calls over WiFi only, which means it doesn't really do anything to circumvent the primary service provider - Contractually there's currently no way they or Apple are prepared to let anyone do that either. It does IM over the cellular network. Available Tuesday I read.

it's a great platform.

There are a few things which I don't like, but they're niggles in a very impressive whole. I'd like control over font sizes in the OS and the lack of Java and Flash compatibility in the mobile browser is an irritant. Especially for those websites that don't have an html version. I'd also be nice to be able to save images from the browser. Biggest bugbear though, is that I cant insert text into the middle of an existing line, I have to delete everything right back to the correction point.

I hated the ebook solution for my iPod photo, it was murder on the battery life, as was lossless audio, because of all the hard drive access. I'm hugely impressed with the battery life on the touch, even with wi-fi on. I think that my netbook may be half-redundant now. And Stanza is great for books, although I can't find a free app for viewing PDFs that contain images. Stanza won't load them.

It's certainly got the most robust headphone amp of any iPod I've had to date too, I plugged the AMT into it last night and was surprised how not totally shit it sounded. Can't wait to get my orthos back from over the pond now.

It's certainly got the most robust headphone amp of any iPod I've had to date too, I plugged the AMT into it last night and was surprised how not totally shit it sounded. Can't wait to get my orthos back from over the pond now.

Congrats! If the 2G Touch sounds as good as the iPhone 3G then I know exactly what you mean. My HD600 may not play very loud out of it, but the sound quality is very nice and transparent, and with my Westone ES3X the sound is mesmerizing. It's not quite as good as some DAC/amps off the Macbook, but certainly does not suck at all.

Congrats! If the 2G Touch sounds as good as the iPhone 3G then I know exactly what you mean. My HD600 may not play very loud out of it, but the sound quality is very nice and transparent, and with my Westone ES3X the sound is mesmerizing. It's not quite as good as some DAC/amps off the Macbook, but certainly does not suck at all.

And with some decent IEMs it's downright spiffing. I actually look forward to walking the stupid dog every night as it gives me 45 minutes to do some good listening through the X-10s.

Biggest bugbear though, is that I cant insert text into the middle of an existing line, I have to delete everything right back to the correction point.

Hold your fingertip on the screen over the text, it should pop up a lens like thing which magnifies the letters underneath and can be dragged to any point within your text for editing.

i only pay $35 for data, and it's functionally unlimited, since i don't exactly use bittorrent a lot on my phone.

Sure, you can get a straight data plan for $30 but if you want to, ya know, talk on the phone you have to couple it to a $39.99 voice plan (the lowest available) which brings the total to the $70 I was referring to. I simply cannot justify my cell phone bill doubling.

that's not a $70 data plan, though. my complete iPhone bill, including (functionally) unlimited data, 450 any time minutes (that i never come anywhere close to using up), 5000 weekend minutes (that i never come anywhere close to using up), 200 text messages, and taxes, comes to $82.60. would i like it to be cheaper? absolutely. is it worth the money? absolutely.

You're playing a semantics game since essentially what I'm getting at is that the cheapest plan on which you can carry an Iphone is ~$70/mo ignoring taxes and such. I simply cannot justify a $1000/yr cellphone.

i can understand that, but i think you're looking at it the wrong way. you aren't paying $1000 a year for a cellphone, you're paying $1000 a year to have the accumulated knowledge of the human race in your pocket, all from an easy to use package. and it makes phone calls.

And survives being dropped in a toilet to boot.