L3000 Burn-In experiences?

mulveling

What are your L3000 burn-in experiences?

I have a pair that's being extremely stubborn, though truthfully part of it is my laziness. It's my second pair; bought it a while ago (3 years?). It's been mostly in storage, but I figure it must have at least 250 hours from my previous half-hearted burn-in attempts. It STILL has that new-L3000 sound (mostly). I know that sound because it's exactly what Purk's pair sounded like when new. It's got the L3000 signature for sure, but the effortlessness and holographic imaging aren't there yet, like on my older pair (bought used from Japan) and Purk's pair. Sounds a bit too "rigid" like the full musical flow isn't quite there yet. It's a very subtle difference, but at this level subtle is huge.

Now my theory is that it may not just be lack of play time. Physical pad break-in may be a major factor as well. New L3000 pads are very airy, springy, and puffy. The leather is very smooth, black, soft, and clean. On the used pads it's clearly lost a lot of the springiness and the pads are a duller color. Probably got a lot more skin oil worked into them too, which might affect the acoustics quite a bit.

This week I'm going to be working these bastards via purk's Pico, and working the pads in various ways (placing under books, massage, etc). See where this goes and if I can finally turn the leaf on the sound. Even my old pair sounds better now than I remember when getting it, though my gear is much better too so that may be it.

Anyone else had a stubborn L3000? What's the general consensus on what it takes for a new L3000 to go from new to glorious?

If you'll send that pair to me, I'll break it in and listen to it over the next year. Then we can do a comparison and see if it actually has a problem or just needed some break in.

Guzziguy beat me to it, but my offer stands to help you out with those stubborn headphones. I'll even make up an hour by hour burn-in log, having nothing to do with reality, but worthy of posting nonetheless.

Lol :D

An interesting idea, but since I've stopped drinking for a while, my chances of sending them out in an inebriated fit of trusting, generosity and goodwill towards man/woman are greatly lessened :(

Still, the random musings in a log might be worth it, if it's on pretty paper!

I'll be happy to drink while I listen so you don't miss everything.

Yes, mail me the L3000 and I will help you burn it in. See, you need some good solid state power to really shake things up, and my Dynahi is the only amp in the southeast that will do the trick. I promise I won't intentionally break it like I did that headfi mod's phono stage I'll be gentle with it. ;)

I've found that the only amp that will burn them in properly is the β22, and you guessed it, I happen to have one. ;D

No, its the Dynahi! Any β22, being a newer design, won't have the necessary several years of amp burn in required to make it a good burn in amp to burn in L3000s. My Dynahi was made by Veda Audio, a defuncy company, so you know its had plenty of time to get warmed up and goosey loosey.

Really wish I'd got my L3000 new. I wasn't impressed with mine when they arrived with smelly leather and hairs in the driver.

My experience is that good sound out of the L3000 is easy. Excellent sound out of them is quite a bit harder to get.

I'd like to say possible headphone variation. Maybe it takes a while for the wool padding in the earcups to deteriorate and become infested with wool-eating mites to add that special 'je ne c'est quoi'.

Who knows? But good luck and do let us know when they approach sonic superbness.

Well, I've really made a difference in the pads. They've gone from brand new to looking & feeling "carefully" used - without damaging them. The original springiness was really excessive. Also, the annoying task of taking off & replacing the pads a few times seems to have stretched out the leather in a natural fashion. They fit like a glove now, as opposed to feeling like a product of nerf. I've also continued cooking them on the Pico. Man, they actually sound pretty damn good just on that amp+DAC!

I shouldn't be commenting this early in the game, but I did another casual comparison last night (on the vinyl rig) and the sonics seemed much closer now. Yay, I actually enjoyed listening with the newer pair :D

One complicating factor is that the output levels seem to be slightly different. My "favorite" listening level falls right on a step of the SDS attenuator with the old pair, yet seems to be between two steps for the new pair. Huh. Seems to be a much wider db variation in L3000 drivers than say with Sennheiser.

Fing - yeah, Purk and I have noticed some sonic variations in well-used L3000's, but this one still has/had that typical "new L3000" sound, which is pretty poor compared to any variation of the fully developed sound. I've just never fully brought up an L3000 from new before, so I've been surprised at how much effort it takes. Hell, it could be all physical break-in of the pads and suspension.