Burning .APE files to CD

foobar is actually super easy for file conversions. Its free and fast. I use winamp to play my music, but I use foobar to do all my ape -> wav & flac -> mp3 conversions. I do use dbPoweramp for my flac -> wav conversions (when compiling a cue sheet to burn in EAC), its integration in the right click menu in windows explorer is very convenient.

That's good to know. I recently reinstalled windows and really don't feel like setting foobar up again in the near future but when I do I'll give foobars file conversion a chance.

What I have is a bone stock foobar with the APE plugin/DLL file. I also have lame.exe somewhere on my HD (for MP3 conversions). When I want to convert say a directory full of APE files, I just add that directory to the playlist. Then I select them all, right click, and there is a "convert to..." selection. In there is MP3, or WAV, or what-have-you. Choose a destination directory and foobar goes to work.

This is very useful for converting FLAC to MP3. I keep my entire ripped music collection in FLAC on one harddrive, and MP3 on another (for use on the Shuffle and future iPhone). So I rip all my CDs in EAC to FLAC and put them in my "Music 2" directory. About once a month or so I dump the entire "Music 2" directory into the foobar playlist, and convert then all to 256kbps VBR LAME MP3, which I put in a temp directory called "asston of mp3s". Then I add those MP3s to my iTunes library (I have the box checked to automatically copy and organize MP3s added to the library). Then I delete all the MP3s out of the "asston of mp3s" directory, and move all the FLACs from the "Music 2" directory into my "Music 1" directory. Then the process begins again!

Its a tidy system, I'm quite pleased with it. :)

Use Burrrn for this. You onlyneed to press one button to burn any audio format to CD. And it's free.

http://www.burrrn.net/

Thanks for that. It looks real handy

What I have is a bone stock foobar with the APE plugin/DLL file. I also have lame.exe somewhere on my HD (for MP3 conversions). When I want to convert say a directory full of APE files, I just add that directory to the playlist. Then I select them all, right click, and there is a "convert to..." selection. In there is MP3, or WAV, or what-have-you. Choose a destination directory and foobar goes to work.

This is very useful for converting FLAC to MP3. I keep my entire ripped music collection in FLAC on one harddrive, and MP3 on another (for use on the Shuffle and future iPhone). So I rip all my CDs in EAC to FLAC and put them in my "Music 2" directory. About once a month or so I dump the entire "Music 2" directory into the foobar playlist, and convert then all to 256kbps VBR LAME MP3, which I put in a temp directory called "asston of mp3s". Then I add those MP3s to my iTunes library (I have the box checked to automatically copy and organize MP3s added to the library). Then I delete all the MP3s out of the "asston of mp3s" directory, and move all the FLACs from the "Music 2" directory into my "Music 1" directory. Then the process begins again!

Its a tidy system, I'm quite pleased with it. :)

God you're right. I didn't know foobar had a user friendly version come out. The last version I used forced you to set it up manually to display albums and artists in columns. I'm glad I can delete iTunes now.