Selling on Audiogon

deepak

When making my first Audiogon purchase, the seller told me that it is the standard practice on Audiogon for buyers to pay the 3% paypal fee (this was not mentioned in the ad). Is this true?

There may be a lot of people that do this but I don't believe it's a "standard practice". If they want the buyer to pay then it should be in their ad. I don't believe it's against Audiogon's TOU but I do believe it's against PP's TOU.

They changed the policy so that all feedbacks must be approved by the other party. It's idiotic, IMHO.

Yeah they changed the policy, and I think thats when everybody started having great feedback rating.

Personally however, I've never really had a bad experience with agon. Several I've talked to were very approachable, and having conversations was actually delightful.

Lowball offers exist anywhere, and that wasn't much of an issue. However, some of the potential international buyers had difficulty communicating in english, and that was frustrating. I wouldn't want to send a product overseas to someone who doen't speak english well and still expect to have a great transaction in the end....just too risky.

Best thing about selling stuff on audigon:

In my experience things sell very easily and very fast on audiogon, nicknamed "audio-gone" to some. Its like an audio graveyard. Any item that is somewhat decent or somewhat of a hot item will usually garner several offers within the 1st couple of hours. Certain items like cables and sources sell much better on audiogon than on headfi because audiogon caters to a more mature, adult, experienced "hi end" user than head-fi.

Worst thing(s) about audiogon:

Tkam alluded to this earlier, but the anal retentiveness of some of the buyers on audigon is insane. I sold a power cord to a user on audiogon, I rated it 8/10 due to age but looked and functioned perfectly. He emailed me back on receipt saying he wanted a refund because there was a very small scratch on one of the prongs on the plug. I checked back my pics and god it was about 1 mm long purely a natural surface scratch from the natural act of plugging something in and out, wouldn't have even noticed it because it was so insignificant. But the buyer was rude, adamant about his refund, and used threatening language. He ultimately attempted to file a complaint against me which was in vain, which leads me to my next point:

The feedback is overly biased towards the seller, and the complaint process they use for negative feedback is so redundant due to the fact that any feedback, positive or negative, has to be approved by the seller, and the seller has the right to counterargue anything the buyer says.

My advice for dealing with audiogon's idiosyncracies:

If you are selling an item, and check your email in a couple of hours and see a bunch of replys and offers, and notice there is one guy who has emailed you 10-20 times in the span of a couple of minutes asking you the most mundane and trivial questions ever, you are best to avoid him. This buyer is probably extremely anal retentive, they are in their 40's, are virgins and still live with their parents, and will find a flaw with anything you sell them no matter how perfectly you describe the condition.