K1000 = hope

JimP

Well I sold my Eddy Merckyx for my Trafomatic Head One, so I don't think anyone on this forum can argue with me that that was a good choice. No road bike can compete with the sound of a good tube amp.

BTW, I am a little premature is stating that the Merckyx is "sold", actually " may have a buyer and I am taking bids".....

(note to self, now go read the HC thread about posts on the HF site, the RS1 in particular)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes headphones just don't look like good valued when you stack them up against a good pair of speakers in that price range.

IME, it's exactly the opposite. Speakers don't look like good values when compared to headphones in the price range. AT ALL, actually...

IME, it's exactly the opposite. Speakers don't look like good values when compared to headphones in the price range. AT ALL, actually...

Up to about $1500 I'd somewhat agree, above that I think well chosen speakers will cream headphones in overall listening experience. At $3000 and up, 'phones are not worth it at all to me. My very upper limit for phones is $1500.

In general, I'd agree with you, but I think the context was the US$2K & up headphones, at which point a well-chosen pair of speakers are competitive. Which is funny, coming from me, Mr. Headphone Evangelist.

My big thing is that speakers and headphones are such different listening experiences, I wouldn't trade one for the other.

Jon L,

Quick question about one of your suggestions:

"As far as background noise with "normal" headphones, I would solder in 2 resistors right at the 1/8" headphone jack, perhaps around 100 Ohms or so"

Would a custom 1/8" to 1/4" pigtail with resistance built into that achieve same? (kind of like Etymotics P to S cable)

This, and the k1000 speaker extension upgrade are the two simple (and cost effective) upgrades I'd like to do. Otherwise, don't really want to mess around with more substantive mods/upgrades.

Jon L,

Quick question about one of your suggestions:

"As far as background noise with "normal" headphones, I would solder in 2 resistors right at the 1/8" headphone jack, perhaps around 100 Ohms or so"

Yes, a adapter with resistance would be the same. You might have to play around with the resistor value depending on your source/system gain, noise, exact headphone used..

In general, I'd agree with you, but I think the context was the US$2K & up headphones, at which point a well-chosen pair of speakers are competitive. Which is funny, coming from me, Mr. Headphone Evangelist.

My big thing is that speakers and headphones are such different listening experiences, I wouldn't trade one for the other.

I would tend to agree with Dusty here (did I say that?). I have found at around $2K-$2.5K and up the differences become more than subtle. Both choices provide a "different" experience and one is not necessarily "better" than the other IMHO, just different. Sometimes I like to sit down and feel all of the instruments and the emotions of the singers that I get with my new tube headphone amp, other times I like to sit in my living room listening to Miles or Monk and feeling the band right there in front of me and the audience around and behind me as if I were in the club. Each medium has it's place for me and I find I switch back and forth often as my mood dictates.

Reks, to paraphrase my Gov. "You'll be back", then again Theils rule for now.

• 3 weeks later...

just a quick follow-up comment:

K1000+Almarro is still fantastic, blah, blah, ...

but one minor correction: in comparison, I said the K1000 + Bryston was thin, analytical, etc. It was, but that was with DAC1USB as source. I went back to try K1000+Bryston with miniDAC as source. Much much better. Still prefer the Almarro for bit more fulsome sound. I can easily replicate results with repeated A/Bing. Nothing earth shattering here, I know, but in case someone in future is reviewing this thread or researching K1000s, the K1000s can work quite credibly with decent SS integrated amp like a Bryston, with a complimentary source.

Also, tried optical instead of USB cable for miniDAC, the minor hum is now gone. I can now use HD580/HD650 as well from Almarro with great results.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that anyone cares, but I've sold my L3000/DHA3000 second time (L3000 second pair, DHA3000 having to be repaired) as my K1000/Almarro wins out (again) as my main system (Waiting for Dusty Chalk to berate me as Jesus again...). Upside is I have some $$$$ for full speakers for my Almarro.

"Remember Almarro!!" -- Davy Crockett

Not that anyone cares, but I've sold my L3000/DHA3000 second time (L3000 second pair, DHA3000 having to be repaired) as my K1000/Almarro wins out (again) as my main system (Waiting for Dusty Chalk to berate me as Jesus again...). Upside is I have some $$$$ for full speakers for my Almarro.

"Remember Almarro!!" -- Davy Crockett

Good luck on the Almarro setup if you go that route. Two times with the L3000 combo. I just got the K1000 and I'm enjoying them too :dance:

I understand giving up one's L3000 before I understand giving up one's K1000. So consider yourself only mildly berated.

• 6 months later...

This is my first time hearing a K1000 with a serial number in the 1400 range. I have tried to recreate my setup as close to the one I heard in the past; the only thing that has changed is the DAC and I put the Denon integrated I used briefly back into the setup.

I swear this low SN K1000 has a lot more bass than both my pairs in the 10000 range. I will know for sure if I get a chance to take it to my friends house- he has a set in the 8000 range that sounded identical to my 10000 version with his monoblocks.

Just for kicks I hooked up my k1000s to my McCormack DNA1 and wow detailed and smooth at the same time. Now there is alot of power (185 watts) so the volume does not go above 9-10 o'clock with my passive volume. This is clearly better than the RWA sig 30 that I owned and right up there with the First Watt but less aggresive.

This is my first time hearing a K1000 with a serial number in the 1400 range. I have tried to recreate my setup as close to the one I heard in the past; the only thing that has changed is the DAC and I put the Denon integrated I used briefly back into the setup.

I swear this low SN K1000 has a lot more bass than both my pairs in the 10000 range. I will know for sure if I get a chance to take it to my friends house- he has a set in the 8000 range that sounded identical to my 10000 version with his monoblocks.

That set and the set here are both low numbers and others who've heard other, later S/N pairs said my ones sounded better than any others they'd heard. It's also been said many times that early sets are more bassy than later ones though I can't confirm that personally. Nobody who listened to them noticed much deficiency in the low end, even in a room with L3000 and HP-2s etc.

They're pretty damn nice phones.