D-Sonic Magnum 500M vs Bel Canto Ref1000

tkam

I've mentioned in the past how good I think the D-Sonic's are and how they use the exact same ICE Power modules that the Bel Canto Ref1000 and other amps use. Well here's some proof:

Bel Canto Ref1000 pic taken from 6moons:

hero4.jpg

D-Sonic Magnum 500M:

d-sonic.jpg

Notice that everything except for the rca/xlr connectors and binding posts are completely identical. Right down to the aluminum bracket/heatsink that the boards are mounted to ;D.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference in price between the two?

They are probably both using near exact copies of boards straight from the company that makes those ICE modules.

They are, I've been saying that for awhile but now it's nice to have the visual proof. The modules come fully assembled straight from the manufacturer who is Bang & Olufsen in this case. The price difference is quite substantial: $4000 for the bel canto and $1950 for the d-sonic.

You might even be able to get some for free if you play your cards right. :)

I've been offered samples of some stuff before, even with full disclosure about who I am, what I do and the fact that it's unlikely that I'll generate much income for their company. Some people still offer and who am I to turn them down but in this case I'd bet they would charge regardless and more than likely flat turn me down. Still, can't hurt to ask...

I've been offered samples of some stuff before, even with full disclosure about who I am, what I do and the fact that it's unlikely that I'll generate much income for their company. Some people still offer and who am I to turn them down but in this case I'd bet they would charge regardless and more than likely flat turn me down. Still, can't hurt to ask...

Yep, you never know unless you ask, right?

So the question is, when will Nate sell his soul to the Dark Side of the Speakers? >:D

Oh, I'm already a tweener, it's just a matter of how absurd the speaker rig gets. My guess is that it'll stay pretty reasonable (i.e. not Reks-like).

Ah, that's cool.

Once my system gets settled and I have everything in, I'm thinking of putting my secondary rig with my DVD/HDTV stuff so I can get better use of my ELS-3's.

.... come now... you need 1000watt mono block for your K1000s right?

Enigma Audio just sent an inquiry about the modules... looking to make a new product line utilizing Class D amplification. Currently considering UCD and NCD modules ;)

When you say UCD, do you mean the Hypex modules? ;D

If anything comes of your inquiries please let us know. Bruno Putzey has acquired quite a reputation for the UCD design and I have been really hot on the idea for a while. For me right now it is between the Hypex/UCD modules or the ICE....now by D-Sonic.

Nate, so they're actually going to send you a couple samples?

They (Ice/B&O) aren't but I've got back-channel connections who've offered to help out. Not sure on the ETA but at some point in the next few months I should have access to two of the 50AXS2 modules. Now to decide if I want the result to be balanced or leave well enough alone and just get the SE version of the module...