HD programing

ronnielee54

Been on Directtv for about 3 years now and finally getting around to maybe adding HD. Anybody care to share their thoughts on HD programs avilable. Is their a decent amount of programing available now to make it worthwhile.

If you like sports, or nature shows, it's definitely worth it. Otherwise, I'd say it's a tossup. There's a lot of content now, but most of it is kinda pointless.

I like it a lot.

Dish Network

(and picking up the local digital off air broadcasts which is free and in HD during prime time)

Most of the time it's great, but some channels claim HD when all they have done is stretch the picture to fill the screen. TNT is probably the worst about it. Watch the L&R outer edges of the screen when there is motion. When they get to about the last 1/4 watch the image stretch out all of the sudden.

tr

I like the HD programming as most sports and nature shows look really good in HD. Other than that, it's a bit of mixed bag for me. Many prime time programs are available in HD, and they do look better in most cases, but not the night and day difference I experience with sports and nature shows. For me, it was only $5 difference in service (Comcrap) so it's been definitely worth it. We'll see if things change when I switch over to FiOS TV in the near future.

What I like about HD programming is the fact that it's in widescreen. I really don't care about the higher resolution.

Comcast shows all their HD movies in a box with black on all four sides in a very small box. After the first Pay-for-view HD movie from Comcast I stopped thinking about HD movies from Comcast.

Comcast shows all their HD movies in a box with black on all four sides in a very small box. After the first Pay-for-view HD movie from Comcast I stopped thinking about HD movies from Comcast.

Are you sure you have all the setting correct? I've never had this problem with HD movies and I have Comcast. All HD programs/On Demand contents, including movies display in full screen for me.

And yes, I was a HD widescreen TV.

Are you sure you have all the setting correct? I've never had this problem with HD movies and I have Comcast. All HD programs/On Demand contents, including movies display in full screen for me.

And yes, I was a HD widescreen TV.

Everything else works great but these movies for me don't. What settings should I check on?

Try checking the aspect setting on your TV and see if that helps.

The aspect issue never corrected it when I cycled threw those options. Now in the expanded view it filled the screen but that simply degraded the HD image to something closer to what a standard image detail would be. I wanted them to present the image to fill a standard wide screen left to right without my having to expand it myself. This just spreads the lines being shown in the HD screen over the whole screen thereby losing the detail that should be there.

The aspect issue never corrected it when I cycled threw those options. Now in the expanded view it filled the screen but that simply degraded the HD image to something closer to what a standard image detail would be. I wanted them to present the image to fill a standard wide screen left to right without my having to expand it myself. This just spreads the lines being shown in the HD screen over the whole screen thereby losing the detail that should be there.

I never had that issue with on demand from comcast in reston. There are a lot of stupid settings on the hd pvr box they provide however, so you have to be careful to get the right settings.