Seeking guidance

Fungi

My current stock of headphones, in order of preference, is

Darth Beyers V2/K501, K24P, PX100, KSC75, UR/40

The stock DBs were just the end-all for me for a while, but I'd been lying to myself; they were compared to HD280s and KSC75s. I figured I could use some "opposite" headphones so grabbed some used K501s, and was really impressed at everything they did besides bass. The stock DBs were definitely way too bass heavy and the highs just... not there. I tried the gel pads and they made them more tolerable (bass tamer, more highs/mids), but something's still weird about it.

I'm in the process of trying to get some K701 pads from Frank@AKG, but he gave me the wrong part number and I got some not-K701 pads so still working on it.

But I'm definitely considering selling the Beyers for some Grados or Senns if their sound is anything like the K24P or PX100 upgraded.

I'm thinking something from: HD650, HD580, SR-225, MS-Pro, orDT880.

Am I on the right track, or do I need a good thin skin piercing?

My current stock of headphones, in order of preference, is

Darth Beyers V2/K501, K24P, PX100, KSC75, UR/40

I'm thinking something from: HD650, HD580, SR-225, MS-Pro, orDT880.

I've never heard a Darth Beyer. I would assume it is somewhat an opposite to the K501. The K501 has decent highs and a superb midrange, but no bass quantity. It has to be the full-size headphone with the least bass impact, or runner-up.

A recabled K701 with a full-bodied and bassy source+amp might do the trick. This could get expensive very quickly, especially the source+amp.

The HD600 is another option. A used pair shouldn't be expensive, and it has less bass-emphasis than the HD650. It does OK with a variety of mid-priced amps such as the Lehmann Black Cube Linear. A recable isn't necessary, wait until you have the source+amp all set.

>n_maher

Source is computer, amp/dac is Opera (upgraded from Headfive, but I don't think it warrants the price increase... better separation and midrange, but yeah). I was planning to sell it and get a DAC and amp that were cheaper total so I could spend more on headphones or something. I've been looking at the MHDT DACs and Gilmore Lite or ECSS, and I'm definitely looking for suggestions there as well.

So my budget max is possibly about $500 (about $1500 for the whole thing), and I listen to rock > electronic >> jazz >> classical.

>Elephas

HD600 might be what I'm looking for... It's not as bassy and thick as the PX100, right?

>ph0rk

As you said, I'm not really fond of the idea of EQing.

pending on your amp/source I would tend to stay away from the upper line Senn stuff, unless you have a good amp and a good source now. I would rock some Grado 225's if you do not have the gear cause they tend to sound better and more enjoyable then the 580/600. but if you want to try them at almost no loss then you can pick up used 600's at $170-ish used usually..well when hf is running that is..

EDIT: read ur source/amp..try the 580's or 600's then

You've got a lot of options w/ a total of $1500 to play with. You shouldn't need to spend more than $400 on the cans, even if you go w/ Senns and decide to upgrade the cable. That leaves $1100 for the amp source which should be plenty.

Where in the world are you located since geographically some options might make more sense than others.

US, California.

Right now I'm thinking about trying out some headphones to find one I like, and then changing the amp/source, because the Opera's clicking is driving me nuts, and it feels like I could do better for this price. Either that, or similar for less.

I remember one or two listings for HD580s on HF before it went down, so I might hop on that if it comes back.

>Elephas

HD600 might be what I'm looking for... It's not as bassy and thick as the PX100, right?

The HD600 (also HD580, HD650, K601, K701) matches well with the Corda Opera. I didn't think the Opera's built-in DAC was as good as a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark, but it should suffice until you're ready for a source upgrade.

The HD600 or other full-size Senns are difficult to compare with the PX100. They're very different. I don't consider the PX100 particularly bassy or thick-sounding, not if compared against the small closed portables. The AKG K26p is bassy and thick-sounding, as well as muddy and lacking clarity.

US, California.

Right now I'm thinking about trying out some headphones to find one I like, and then changing the amp/source, because the Opera's clicking is driving me nuts, and it feels like I could do better for this price. Either that, or similar for less.

I remember one or two listings for HD580s on HF before it went down, so I might hop on that if it comes back.

Fungi there is a north cal meet this Saturday. i know Cali is a big state but try to go if you can cause you will learn so much from a meet years ont he boards couldn't compare. i know those guys are scrambling their thing in the meet section of headcase now..

one thing about the 600's i have to say is its a headphone that could be your last, its that good if you like it. i bought mine used just to try a set of 600's out at home and years later and shit loads of gear later the same 600's are still my everyday headphone with 95% listening time at home....that says a lot with all the gear and cans i have now. best $170 i ever spent in this hobby for sure!

Billy, the new avatar and quote. So funny! :)

thanks man it's a pic of me role playing at a hobby lobby with the ex... :kitty:

He might have an older PX100, which is certainly bass and muddy sounding, compared to the AKG sound. If that's how he perceives that PX100, then i'm not sure if the HD600 would be a good recommendation. I would fly with the K701 (despite how much i don't like that can) or the HD595.

for amps, I really like the GS-1 for obvious reasons, it's just good. and I can't, without malicious intent, recommend the corda opera when you can get 2 good components for nearly the same price (i'm thinking of the GS-1's used price).

The HD600 (also HD580, HD650, K601, K701) matches well with the Corda Opera. I didn't think the Opera's built-in DAC was as good as a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark, but it should suffice until you're ready for a source upgrade.

The HD600 or other full-size Senns are difficult to compare with the PX100. They're very different. I don't consider the PX100 particularly bassy or thick-sounding, not if compared against the small closed portables. The AKG K26p is bassy and thick-sounding, as well as muddy and lacking clarity.

Yeah, I actually like the PX100 a lot, but it just has that lower end that I can't describe. By bassy I meant it had its emphasis on bass, not bassy like the 26P.

Fungi there is a north cal meet this Saturday. i know Cali is a big state but try to go if you can cause you will learn so much from a meet years ont he boards couldn't compare. i know those guys are scrambling their thing in the meet section of headcase now..

one thing about the 600's i have to say is its a headphone that could be your last, its that good if you like it. i bought mine used just to try a set of 600's out at home and years later and shit loads of gear later the same 600's are still my everyday headphone with 95% listening time at home....that says a lot with all the gear and cans i have now. best $170 i ever spent in this hobby for sure!

I'd love to go, but that's a looong way up from Santa Barbara and I have work to do. There is one guy in SB with a Singlepower, modded K340, and SR-225 among other stuff, so I might ask if I can take a good listen sometime.

And for the 580/600, I think I'm definitely going to give them a shot. Like people said earlier, they can be sold again for not a great loss. Is the 580 with 600 grills as similar people say?