So uh..well...new radiohead album coming out this week

Chekhonte

i'm not paying for 160 KBPS MP3.

You don't have to - I didn't pay anything figuring it was lossy mp3. Regardless, the quality is pretty good. The album is somewhat minimalistic at points so you don't really hear any compression or loss in dynamics.

I will support them when the official CD release comes out and buy a nice copy then.

My take on Radiohead - In Rainbows:

It's a very good album that I enjoyed on first listen. It didn't blow me away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as some of those albums tend to get "dull" in the long run. Instead this album is a nice balance of laid back rock and fun/dancey pop-rock. I'm once again very impressed by how Thom Yorke uses his voice more as an instrument (people might or might not like this, but he probably sounds the most "normal" on this album, as in not over-produced with digital effects).

The layering (sounds take on their own space, are softer/louder/more textured/detailed than others), and mixing in this album is just as good as past Radiohead albums and sounded sublime on my L3000s though the limitations of the CBR mp3s reared its ugly head :-[ . And the album could have done with less gain.

My favorite tracks on the album are 15 Step (what a way to start an album! Though it might have been too strong an opener as it gets progressively mellower from there on) and Weird Fishes/Arpeggi.

Overall impressed and I like it a lot more than Thom Yorke's solo album, which I was pretty disappointed with. And I'm happy I preordered the discbox set, hopefully the outtakes are just as good ;D

I'm looking forward to listening to the album this evening. If only I could manage to pry the Justice album out of my CDP. :mikey2: I had no idea, but when an album carries with it an overload of sheer coolness, it can cause bonding between the CD and one's system on a level deeper even the the subatomic, meaning pure cosmic spiritual soul energy. Well the Justice CD has so much pure cosmic spiritual soul energy my system won't give it up. I think its about to when I'm yelling at it, but then it starts playing and tells me "just one more time jack, then we'll listen to the new radiohead." But then the first track kicks in and I'm sharing in the universal groove, and then I don't want to listen to anything else. :dance:

I've been listening to this album tonight myself and my thoughts largely mirror jpak's. I like the album overall and a number of tracks, especially the first five or so are standout to me. I think "All I Need" is my favorite track at this point. The mp3s are a bit lacking so I'm looking forward to hearing it in better formats when the discbox arrives.

Am I the only person that thinks this album is awful? I feel that it's almost as bad as thom york's solo album. It's like they combined the their wost parts of their career and left out all the things that made kid a and OK computer brilliant. I believe that this is what's called imitating oneself. It feels like what david lynch did with lost highway. Perhaps it's not over for radiohead, to say on the same analogy lynch came back and redeemed himself with mullholland drive and out did himself with inland empire. I guess we'll see in another 3 years.

well I guess I was totally wrong. pitchfork says that I love this album more than scott walkers the drift but less than joanna newsom's Y's.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/46356-in-rainbows

Pitchfork is like the Stereophile of "indie" music: you can't trust what they say, even if on occasion you agree with them.