enough gain on TVCs?

humanflyz

Should I be worried about gain on TVCs? I don't think I listen that loudly, but certainly not at whisper-level either. I like to turn it up once in a while just to rock out and try to get some big dynamics going. More specifically, would a TVC have trouble with the output level of cartridges?

The specific model that I might be interested in is the Bent Audio TVC, which uses a the S&B TX-102 transformer, and has up to 6db of gain.

This depends on several things

• The output of your cartridge
  • The gain on your phonostage
  • The gain of your amp

If you have enough gain in the rest of your system, then a TVC will work just fine, if not, then you'll need an active preamp to make up the gain or an amp with more gain.

• 2 weeks later...

So my TVC just got here today; it uses the S&B transformer.

Let's just say that I like it a lot. It has enough gain for me in my system, and the biggest things that I noticed are improved dynamics and more realistic decay of instruments.

Overall the TVC makes my current system has a more of the "there-ness" to the music. I was listening to "Cookin' with Miles Davis Quintet", and every instrumental just sounds more real I guess. The decay on Paul Chamber's bass is ridiculously natural, the most natural I've heard so far.

I remember lusting after a TVC pre-amp from DIYHifiSupply when they made them with S&B transformers (the Django).

Since all S&B TX102 transformers have since been diverted to their Music First line, I heard about the Promitheus ones from random comments on various audio forums. They rave about them quite a lot on the Audiocircle forum.

I've ordered a reference 2 box one with an upgraded C-core, ebony chassis and copper plates. Accepts 2 RCA and one balanced input - $1060 :P

Apparently the stock one for $360 sounds pretty good. I just have complete and utter willpower failure when it comes to upgrades and options.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, other than killing you dead and blowing up your speakers there's not much of a problem...

While I'm always eager to learn of more obscure ways of death, is there a preamp/volume control that will work in my situation that won't degrade the signal from my source (much)?

So my TVC just got here today; it uses the S&B transformer.

Let's just say that I like it a lot. It has enough gain for me in my system, and the biggest things that I noticed are improved dynamics and more realistic decay of instruments.

Overall the TVC makes my current system has a more of the "there-ness" to the music. I was listening to "Cookin' with Miles Davis Quintet", and every instrumental just sounds more real I guess. The decay on Paul Chamber's bass is ridiculously natural, the most natural I've heard so far.

I used to have the Bent Audio TVC. What preamp did your TVC replace? TVC's are great, especially at their prices, and there's certainly a lot less chance of screwing up something important compared to complicated active preamps. Just like headphones, people will have different preferences, some swearing by only active preamps, some preferring the sound of resistor-based passive attentuators (like me) ;D