Got the Quad 12Ls today

humanflyz

Or you could ask someone to build you a long set of shielded RCAs to try and minimize the potential for noise. Just sayin'...

of course! I was going to ask tyrion to do that for me this weekend. ;)

the double interconnect is a stopgap just to see how the speakers work out next to my monitor, dusty chalk style. They are BJ LC-1s i had laying around in the top of my closet, so rather then spend more money, I just stuck 'em together.

Yes, a fair number of RCA cables are simply twisted wires with no shielding. But one can, if so inclined, build shielded RCAs with the shield grounded on the source end to help with noise issues. Ask Reks about whether or not it works. :)
If signal-ground == chassis-ground on both the 840A (or whatever) and the Quad 12L's, you could probably even connect them on both sides. I doubt that's the case, though.

(bites lip)

Mmmmmm, brief impressions from last nights listening fun time. :prettyprincess:

The speakers are very pretty to look at, with a super shiny black laquer that gives them a very dark and refined appearance. They are pretty big (taller then my monitor, 24" widescreen), and have a good heft to them. I set them up non-audiophile style (more non-audiophile antics lie ahead) on my desk on either side of my monitor. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm running two Blue Jeans LC-1 RCA cables, connected using Radio Shack female rca/rca adapters, from the preouts on my 840A. Part of the fun of having them on my desk is it is super easy to adjust the toe-in. Toe the speakers further in and I get a brighter presentation, toe them out and the brightness goes away. I adjusted the "set it and forget it" volume on the back to just north of 50%. I spent most of my time listening to Ryan Adams soundboard recordings, which are fan recordings done with open mics on the stage run through the soundboard. I've found these do a great job of showing off equipment. I also did some listening with vinyl using my Denon DL-103.

As to the sound, well they just sound marvelous, truly exceeding my expectations. Most startling is the rich midrange, which does both male and female vocals very well. The soundstage runs pretty deep for near field monitors, and centered instruments (like vocals) very naturally appear to be coming from inbetween the speakers. The one complaint is the bass can be a little boomy, but I think that is entirely due to the speakers' placement on my desk. If I really wanted to I could flip a switch on the back which cuts off some of the bass, but really I don't mind the boomy bass so much.

In other news, its a lot of fun to run the 22Ls at the same time as the 12Ls. The 22Ls are about 6ft behind me when I'm at my computer, and running all four speakers at the same time, while maybe not exactly audiophile perfection, is totally kick ass.

ok, back to work. :stick:

I've been thinking about getting a pair of these after I sell some unused gear. ~ $600 and no need for an amp sounds good to me :)

Well even after just one night of listening I can highly recommend it. A full, big sound from monitors for less then an RS-1 new. Don't you have a K1000 you can sell? I can't keep up with your gear.

Yeah you do I see it in your sig. Sell that shit.

:rofl:

Needs more postjack quoting postjack ;D

Actually I'm probably going to sell my TT setup and a few other headphones I don't use.

I can't keep up with your gear.

I hardly change my setup :'( ...just slowly making the move to speakers and downsizing headphone rigs.

Hey, no worries about "non audiophile antics" -- I have mine on stacks of reams of paper (3 per side). Brings the tweeters up to ear level, and only the slightest of toe-in is what I find to be the perfect balance (aimed about 6 feet behind my head). But that leads to a question -- only after I do that do mine breach the top of my monitor -- how do you have your monitor and keyboard set up? For ergonomic reasons, you should have the monitor at a height so that when you look straight ahead, you're looking at the top half of the screen, left of center. I have a special drawer/platform thingy for my keyboard so that my elbows are slightly above the plane of the keyboard, so that my fingers only drop down a little bit.

Or do you slouch really badly?

The result is that there is no desk for the bass to bounce off of. There's also ports in the back -- you could fashion some foam bungs to plug into the ports (thrice -- no "where are we going with this thread" jokes).

Oh, and I completely agree with the midrange. It's competitive with my old Spendor S3/5's that I used to have. Before I got these, I missed those; after I got these, I didn't miss 'em no mo'.

Hey, no worries about "non audiophile antics" -- I have mine on stacks of reams of paper (3 per side). Brings the tweeters up to ear level, and only the slightest of toe-in is what I find to be the perfect balance (aimed about 6 feet behind my head). But that leads to a question -- only after I do that do mine breach the top of my monitor -- how do you have your monitor and keyboard set up? For ergonomic reasons, you should have the monitor at a height so that when you look straight ahead, you're looking at the top half of the screen, left of center. I have a special drawer/platform thingy for my keyboard so that my elbows are slightly above the plane of the keyboard, so that my fingers only drop down a little bit.

Or do you slouch really badly?

The result is that there is no desk for the bass to bounce off of. There's also ports in the back -- you could fashion some foam bungs to plug into the ports (thrice -- no "where are we going with this thread" jokes).

Oh, and I completely agree with the midrange. It's competitive with my old Spendor S3/5's that I used to have. Before I got these, I missed those; after I got these, I didn't miss 'em no mo'.

I slouch. god i'm at work and i'm so tired.

good points about putting the speakers up on paper, I'll try that. should really help round out of the bass.