Should I buy Quad 22L's as my first real speakers?

postjack

Should I buy tkizzle's Quads?  

1. 1. Should I buy tkizzle's Quads?

Hey-

So I want to enter the world of speakers, and the Quad 22Ls that tkam has for sale have caught my eye. Of course they are visually very attractive, and all the reviews I've read say they are a good neutral speaker at their pricepoint, and even a better deal used. Basically I would just want a speaker that is decent across all genres, and doesn't really try to do anything except portray what is on the recording pretty well.

My initial application would be in a small quasi-office room where my headphone rig is. I forget the room's exact measurements, but I sit 8 feet from the wall, and so would be 5-6 feet from the speakers. :o Far from ideal, yes, but eventually I'm looking at converting a room in my house that gets very little use into a dedicated listening room, so then I could setup the speakers anyway I wanted.

I'd want to power them with something <$1000, maybe an integrated like the Rega Mira3 or something by Jolida. "Budget" is the word.

Any feedback is appreciated.

As an aside, I haven't laid claim to the 22Ls, they are still very much for sale if someone else is still interested. You won't break my heart at all if you snatch them up. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any feedback is appreciated.
Dew eet.

From everything you describe, they should be exactly what you're looking for, and if you end up being unhappy with them, I don't think you'll lose any money in the long run.

I have to wonder why tkam is selling them, though. Is there anything wrong with this particular pair, Todd?

I can't purchase them at this time, otherwise I would in a heartbeat.

Dew eet.

From everything you describe, they should be exactly what you're looking for, and if you end up being unhappy with them, I don't think you'll lose any money in the long run.

I have to wonder why tkam is selling them, though. Is there anything wrong with this particular pair, Todd?

I can't purchase them at this time, otherwise I would in a heartbeat.

You haven't noticed? Todd upgrades more often than akwok

Guest sacd lover

any recommendations/thoughts for solid state options? ^-^ i'm of course furiously employing the audio asylum search engine and browsing audiogon, but I always appreciate a push in the right direction.

Back when I was using speakers I auditioned all the name heavy hitters .... McCormack DNA-125/ Musical Fidelity A3CR/ Belles 150A .... and the little Monarchyt SM-70 Pro stomped them. The difference was totally obvious immediately. I bought the Pro .... and later a second low gain version. You can pick these up amps for peanuts used and they work best with an inexpensive passive preamp. If those speakers can get by with 25-30 watts I would check out a Pro. This amp also doubles as an excellnt k1000 amp. O0

Lots of talk over at audio asylum about the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-Integrated-Digital-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B000J0ORMS/ref=sr_1_30/102-2336702-8536937?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1176478823&sr=8-30]Onkyo A-9555[/ame]. Lots of folks seem to like it at its price point, and it supposedly got a good review in Stereophile this month.

i'm kind of torn here. i definitely want something done by ray, but the sherwood above does have one hundred watts in it, which no doubt would get loud as all hellfire. does ray do mods? maybe i could get him to mod it to get like 150 watts out of it so i can turn up the voulme dial a bit more.