What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

On 6/13/2024 at 12:36 PM, swt61 said:

So there's two series that I've watched recently. Both were unexpected, out of the norm series. Both a little strange, but both really captivating. 

The first is Sugar. That one may have a season two coming? 

It blindsided me in the best way.

The second was Eric. Fantastic cast and phenomenal acting. It wasn't as much of a shock, but offbeat in a different way. Very emotional, very well written. 

I can very much recommend Both. And Ric, I think you'll really like Eric.

Thanks much for the Eric suggestion Steve. A lot to admire including the grand architecture of the story, even if many of its mechanics drove me crazy by the end. It’s another reminder how limited the goals are on most TV/film projects. This went big over always safely successful. 

IMG_6351.jpeg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

This was far better than what I was expecting. 

You have to be from my era to understand the shift in Hollywood that underpinned the "Brat Pack". Prior to this point in time, movies weren't made for teens about teens. This was the beginning of a fundamental shift in movies. Hollywood discovered that teens were a viable market, and it wasn't long until the movie industry was flooded with teen movies. John Hughes was at the forefront of that shift, and other directors followed suit.

I remember those films had a real impact on me. So many of my friends had crushes on Demi Moore and Molly Ringwald. While in secret, my crushes were on Andrew McCarthy and Rob Lowe.

Anyway, it was a very interesting perspective on a nostalgic time for my generation. 

Brats.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I came here to complain about the ridiculousness of True Detective: Dark Country, but then saw the season three premiere of The Bear and it's all beautiful and me smiling. Best show on TV. 

bear-301-jeremy-allen-white.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 4

money-for-nothing.jpg

It's a British TV show, where they stop people at the dump (tip) and take the items they think they can recycle/upcycle.

Then they take them to various crafts people to rethink/repurpose. In the end they revisit the original owners and hand over any profit generated. 

Kind of fun. Watching on YouTube.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished GOT House of the Dragon Season 2’s finale. What a great season to a great show. It is probably the highest budget show on tv, but what carries it is the casting. I love the acting so much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, jpelg said:

The Bear - finished season 3.

Wow, great..again. Except...cliffhanger!

It's really something, isn't it? All the current talk about Homicide: Life on the Streets finally coming to streaming after all these years makes me happy The Bear is getting recognized during its run. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/16/g-s1-17168/homicide-life-on-the-streets-is-streaming-at-last 

• Like 1

Bad Monkey (AppleTV) - first three eps are very enjoyable, if highly dependent upon Vaughn's witty charm:

image.jpeg.520ca0afeaf2b70c4e9d099d76f8f0f7.jpeg

Natalie Martinez ain't too difficult to look at either though😉

Edited by jpelg
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 2:21 AM, TMoney said:

image.jpeg

Shogun (2024)

I watched the old 80s mini-series a few years back and absolutely loved it. For the time it was so well done. I could forgive the 80s TV production values because the story, setting and characters were so captivating. I also loved that all the Japanese characters spoke in Japanese and there were no subtitles.

The story of the 80s mini-series sticks closely to the English Pilot whose ship washes up on the shores of 16th century Japan, John Blackthorn. You see more or less the entire story from his perspective. For this reason I think it was a smash hit in the west, even though the Japanese home market does not look back on it kindly. It wasn’t their story, it was ours. The 80s version made me want to travel to Japan very badly.

The 2024 Shogun (based on the same source material) takes a different path. The production values are crazy good, the acting is better (for the most part), and all the Japanese characters are subtitled. For all the 2024 version does well though, it never quite hooked me the way the 80s version did.

I think the change that hurt this (for me) the most was making the story more Torunaga’s and less Blackthorn’s. Rather than being a fish-out-of-water story of a marooned Englishman in a foreign land, this show is much more centered on Torunaga and his machinations to become Shogun. I hate to say this, but I just didn’t find Torunaga that compelling. He is cold and icy, and is defined more by his rivals than by his own deeds. I was not engaged by lot of the political maneuvering.

Enjoyable show, to be sure. Very well made. Game of Thrones level political fun? I say no.

Still, recommended.

I'm enjoying this one. It's a GOT placed in the XVIIth century Japan. Even the intro and its music have some resemblance. It portrays well the cultural gap between the English seaman and the japanese people. I'm also enjoying the view of the catholic vs protestant and all the economics behind.

• Like 4