AKG K340 modding thread

deepak

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

postjack: Thanks. Good to be here.

Fitz: Interesting you did not like the velour pads. How did the sound signature change?

Although old and not necessarily the nicest looking, the K340s I sense have real potential in the way they deal with midrange and the overall balance and tone. Takes a little bit of getting used to coming from an open headphone.

Question: has anyone of you ever tried running a K340 from a standard speaker amp (recabled of course)?

I tried that with a K280 but I assume due to the lower impedance got a bit of hiss.

I assume that the K340 (just like the K1000) could be nicely driven by e.g. an T-Amp, I just do not want to mess with my pair just to try.

Although I probably will have to if no one dissuades me...

Hi,

Another Head-Filess orphan :-\

Just snatched a pair of these k340's from a dutch internet market place. a 100 euro including shipping. They are in mint condition. (barely used) Owner told me he got them from a place he used to work. They are here tommorow.

I'm using my dads akg k500 ATM , sure hope these are a good upgrade. Might have to do some recabling if my NAD pre does not drive them properply. my modded trends ta-10 will be ok with these I guess.

Robert

Question: has anyone of you ever tried running a K340 from a standard speaker amp (recabled of course)?

I've tried it out of an old Technics receiver, it's not bad at all once I mess with the tone controls to get more bass. This is with a record player though, I have no idea how that particular setup would sound with digital since I haven't tried it yet.

ah ok, it's quite a warm sounding HP output. Should perform around the level of a gilmore lite (NAD 1600 pre)

I'll have to reterminate them :( BLEH. What would be the easiest way of connecting these to a speaker amp? reterminate them with some flexible speaker wire?

I'll first have a listen to them in stock form. See if their tone is my taste. I might trade them for some other cans ... I like my mbquart qp55x which sound like better grado sr60+ a little soundstage.

Read that on the temporarily defunct headphone forum.. someone compared them . ( Ofcourse it's just an impression ) It at least gave me an indication that I have a decent headphone amp. the pre-amp part sucks tough. It totally spoiled my speaker setup.

The grounds have to be seperated when using a speaker amp ? or not?

Thanks for your interest anyway :)

this forum is money .

Read that on the temporarily defunct headphone forum.. someone compared them . ( Ofcourse it's just an impression ) It at least gave me an indication that I have a decent headphone amp. the pre-amp part sucks tough. It totally spoiled my speaker setup.

So you think the preamp part sucks but somehow the headphone portion of the circuit will sound as good as a $300 dedicated headphone amp? I must be missing something ;).

The grounds have to be seperated when using a speaker amp ? or not?

I'd say you need to reterminate them then, I wouldn't bother with an entire recable just yet.

Don't know :P Sounds good to my ears. But the thing I said was only based on some headfiers comment. In my speaker setup the sound is mucho better when connected straight from dac to amp .

I'll have to look inside this thing and see how this headphone amp is connected . It might not use the pre-amp part... it has tape-in tape outs as well so it could be connected to the same as these connections. I'm a very noobie diyer ( only changed some caps and volume pots etc. )

DAC :mikey2:DSCF0043.JPG

I assume that the K340 (just like the K1000) could be nicely driven by e.g. an T-Amp, I just do not want to mess with my pair just to try.

Although I probably will have to if no one dissuades me...

I tried mine with my T-amp and didn't like it, but others have had good experience with the Red Wine audio tripath amps, so who knows...

EDIT: You need to reterm your headphones to balanced though as the grounds can't be tied together. FYI

Oops, quite a few answers.

robert1325, welcome to a never ending quest (at least for me).

I am very interested in what you have to say about the K340.

I got mine already heavily modded, and I am already afraid that quite possibly 20years from now they might die :P

Anyway, it looks like I need to reterminate mine to actually test them with a few amps.

But before that I have a few other AKG coming in (600Ohms) that I will recable and test before I start fiddling with the K340.

Having said that the idea of getting a second pair that I could mod myself... hmm ... the sound of a crying wallet in the background...

Just got my k340's. Their condition is not as good as I expected . So feel a little ripped of since he asked above my offering with the excuse of mint condition.

Also I cannot seem to get the headband adjusted properly. It's stuck or something . they are squint when wearing them.

The sound is really great out of my NAD 1600. Listening to some count basie Live at the sands . And the brass sounds so full and smooth. Big soundstage. Lots of audience detail etc. very warm musical sounding cans these. They sound like a speaker headphone combination. both strengths. I feel they can be a little tighter in the low-end, ( they are already) but they probably need some serious amping. my nad amp is at 12 oclock. compared to the 10ish I use with other cans. they go loud without sounding harsh or anything. No distortion. ;D So Half half happy. I guess I'll have to reterminate these soon and get some t-amp oilcap juice flowing .

Question before I cut of the plug . Are the wires inside color coded? so I know where the cables go on my speaker binding posts?

If not I'd rather wait and just recable them when I have a decent cable (probably some copper speaker wire of some Hi-Fi brand)

I love the sound so far, but I feel they need more power. they sound a bit closed in /muffled , especially with busy music.