Post what you're watching

deepak

Continued Misfits -- episode two takes it to a whole 'nother level -- weird mix of black comedy, supernatural, British, horror, thriller and...drama?  Wait, how'd they squeeze that tear of sympathy out of me?  HOW?  I mean, the two stories weren't even related and then, wham, out of nowhere... and an amazing soundtrack.  Best use of "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon", ever.

i5hqg3K.jpg

Cat People (1982)

I saw this movie when I was way too young for it.  I didn't much like it then, and I my opinion on it isn't improving a hell of a lot now.  That said, the soundtrack is by Giorgio Moroder, and it is excellent.  Tthe crazy effects Giorgio extracts from his modular for the musical cues have aged really well.

This Google-Talks video on mathematics and the Simpsons is totally awesome. I absolutely recommend it.

I still think some of those early Simpsons seasons are the best animated content ever to appear on TV. This video further reaffirms that belief.

Homeland

Does anyone else who watches this know what kind of music Carrie Matheson listens to?  I know it's jazz, but more specifically -- it's early enough (last century early, not early early) that's it's still recognizably 12 tone and not completely scat or avant-garde, but it's late enough that it doesn't feel obliged to stay within traditional melody/harmony/structure etc.  It's not as sparse or abstract as, say, Bitches Brew, so I think it's little earlier than that. 

She probably listens to a lot of jazz, but the type I am trying to describe is what I have been finding myself craving, and I'm having trouble finding examples.  Need to find some harmolodics, because on paper, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

Also:  The Killing -- I don't know why they call this the killing, but at least they used the singular -- there's only one (well...that we care about).  It should be called "Red Herrings".  No, I'm kidding, I actually really like this show.  The writer is impeccable -- captures the individual, the interpersonal, the social, and the political, and how they all affect each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should give this show a shot, eh?  You and I tend to like a lot of the same TV.

Yes.

That said, this is nothing like the more populist shows that we've discussed like Whedon, etc.  So don't expect a lot of witty one-liners.  And it's nicely complex.

But yes.

Also, don't put all your eggs in the Alice basket -- you'll be disappointed, she's in fewer than half the episodes.