What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Bread with mushroom butter and tomato oil vinaigrette, mushroom ragout, chick pea fritters, Diver scallops...with a bunch of other stuff, goat belly coulis with lobster, crab and creme fraiche, bittersweet chocolate toffee with shiitake caramel gelato and shiitake gastrique... Pics to come

• 2 weeks later...

I used a combination of Gruyere, Rembrandt Gouda and cream cheese. Just Gruyere in the cheese crumble that goes on top (more complicated than the mac and cheese itself). Have you seen the Modernist Cuisine at Home book? I've been making tons of stuff from there and I can improvise a little as well when I really know the subject.

Take the Wellington, for example. I used MCaH techniques and combined them with about five recipes I've seen around the internet. The beef tenderloin is cooked sous vide, then seared, then I brushed it with horseradish mustard (there's a local brand here in SoCal that makes a killer one), then I put it in plastic again and drop it in an ice bath to cool it down.

In the meantime, the duxelles is about 700g worth of portobellos and a medium sweet onion, and some fresh thyme; you just cook out all the moisture from the mushroom and you're ready to go...

Ok, wait, at this point I should probably just write it up for reals and PM it to ya.

Yum. I am familiar with but have not seen the Modernist cookbook. Apparently they are located somewhere near where I currently live.

Oyster sliders and duck breast with foie gras. Not pictured is a glass of 2009 Zilliken Riesling.

wp20130124026.jpg

wp20130124027.jpg

Sliders = crispy fried gulf oysters, candied bacon, buttermilk chive biscuits, spinach, brown butter hollandaise

Duck = Grilled lavender & Szechuan peppercorn roasted duck breast, seared grade “A” foie gras, grilled onion & red chard risotto, black pepper orange sauce

Edited by cetoole