What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Was in NYC last week, had lots of good food.

Curry lunch on Monday:

sWmLOT0l.jpg

The Breslin for dinner on Monday:

Really good sazerac:

lRI7AY5l.jpg

Fries:

LfvZRlRl.jpg

Scotch egg:

YFGaIsil.jpg

Seafood Sausage:

puULhrxl.jpg

Pig foot:

mNQ1x82l.jpg

Ootoya on Tuesday

Either chicken tail or chicken neck skewer:

QneZoZ4l.jpg

Sake:

4vuR3BQl.jpg?1

Mackerel:

H04UZbpl.jpg

Fried chicken:

5tZVT6el.jpg

Black sesame ice cream and cheesecake:

qaXImNfl.jpg

Wednesday, The NoMad:

Chicken for two:

9BucxgGl.jpg

EGEFn0Jl.jpg

• Like 1

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Those remind me that Dynamo Donuts is doing beer donuts with Almanac brews in them this week.

Earlier tonight, Claire and I made Mike and Debbie's kale/fennel/sausage/white bean stew and it was delicious.  I am still working and was thinking about having another helping even though now I really want Grahame and Joanne's donuts after seeing those pictures.

e4asaber.jpg

Made this again when we had family over last week and it was a big hit.  So tasty and yet quite simple.  I do half spicy and half sweet Italian sausage (pork, baby!) and that also kicks up the spice a little bit for those who like it.

Mike posted it in the cooking thread:

Ingredients

Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium fennel bulbs, outer layers removed, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
One 15-ounce can cannellini beans
One 10-ounce bunch kale, center rib removed, leaves chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 Italian sausage links (half spicy and half sweet is my preference)

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a grill pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, onion, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes (plus juices), beans, kale and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the kale has wilted, 25 to 30 minutes.

While the stew is cooking, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a grill. Grill sausages, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Remove the pan from the oven and add the cooked sausage slices. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Spoon the stew into bowls and serve.

• Thanks 1

Kale+Lacinato+Harvested.jpg

Lacinato Kale, aka Dino Kale, is the kind that I think we have used both time. It is sweeter and softer than curly kale, and it is pretty much readily available around here anyway.

Claire and my daughter Sophie both said the baby kale -- sold in lettuce packs -- would not be good and would not likely hold up to cooking this way.  But you could try...