What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Steak night without hubby so I decided to try something new. 

Prime strip steak with a peppercorn and cognac cream sauce; sauteed portabello mushrooms and onions; and a spinach, feta, pear grape tomato, and balsamic vinegrette salad.  Also a large glass of Robert Biale's Black Chicken Zinfandel.  It was divine!  You cannot really go wrong with well marbled steak, butter, cognac, cream and good wine though.   

Sounds really good, Shelly.

I have to report what I'm not eating.  I bought a rib eye steak from TJ's yesterday.  It smelled really bad when I opened the packaging tonight.  I went ahead and grilled it in the hope it would get better.  It didn't.

So I'm eating grilled potatoes, jalapenos and green beans. :(

Finally got to this restaurant Underbelly that I have wanted to go to.   I got the "Butcher's cut" which I thought the waitress say was short ribs.  They were fucking amazing.  I wasn't sure that was short ribs because it was different than I have usually had them.  They were like the most tender juicy steak ever, cooked perfectly medium rare with a really nice sauce/glaze on the outside.  Melty in the mouth indeed.  They put last night's steak to shame.  I really wish I knew what this was and how they cooked it.  Also had some Korean braised goat and dumplings (so awesome), crispy chicken livers (ok), and Vinegar Pie (also very good).  If anyone is passing through Houston someday, I would highly recommend it. 

Sorry, Ken, that sucks. I don't care for TJ's produce or meat. Love their packaged stuff, though. I know a manager at TJ's around here, and he says it is there policy to always  refund an unhappy customer, even if they return a package of something half eaten. I'd think you can return the smelly, nasty, cooked piece of meat for a refund.

Shelly, yummy ... sounds good. Interestingly, as Al pointed out, I can't say I've ever passed through Houston!

dsc02287cj.jpg

Scrambled duck confit.  Damn thing kept falling apart as I tried to move it.  Tasted amazing though.  3 days firming in the fridge on salt+pepper, then roughly 18 hours at 162F in a bag of duck fat from previous confitings, then seared.  Then masticated.

Edited by cetoole
  • Like 1